1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting amp to sub

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Bobby_Dazzler, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Bobby_Dazzler

Bobby_Dazzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I posted this ages ago but did not get a clear answer.

What I need to do is connect a sub to a pioneer vsx c502

my problem is that the sub I have at the moment has standard speaker connections on the back rather than a phono which is what the c502 has!

I plan to get the movie cd1 package in a couple of months but my wallet is empty after buying the pw7 and jstech cables etc !

:lease: Help !

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It's designed to be connected to the front stereo speaker outputs. the signal passes through the sub, and feeds the fronts after the sub has helped itself to the bass frequencies. On the VSX you may have a setup problem. Best compromise is probably to tell it your fronts are 'large'.

3. Bobby_Dazzler

Bobby_Dazzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so what i need to do is to run the sub from either the front left or right and then run the relavent front speaker from the sub?

does it matter if i run it from front right or left?

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    If it doesn't have more than 1 input and output you really do need another,it will sound pretty weird otherwise.

5. Bobby_Dazzler

Bobby_Dazzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im a bit thick !

When you talk about inputs and outputs your refering to the sub?

if you are my sony sub just has a red and black spring connector on the back and thats my lot !

Is that anygood?

Bobby

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Ah we get to the bottom of it now. No, it's no good without another part, and it just ain't economic. Go to richers and buy the cheapest sub they have, check the trade counter etc, classifieds here etc. I now understand what kind of sub it is, and anything from Richers will blow it away. You just need an 'active' sub, yours is from a HC system like a DAVS I assume. You need a power amp for it, cheaper by far to buy a new sub. £50 should do the trick for now, buy a better one when you have some spare cash.

Just checked Richers, they have some basic subs at £20 in the trade counter section, think they are active, other than that £50 is where they start.