Connecting Amp to 1TB Sky HD Box. Plz Help!

andyrogers85

Standard Member
Hi Guys
Im new to this, so please forgive me if this has already been asked.

I bought a Yamaha RXV371 Amp and 5.1 speakers and need help connecting it to my Blu-Ray player and Sky HD Box.

I was told to connect the SKY HD and Blu Ray to the Amp via HDMI and then then Amp to the TV via HDMI.
However, I've read that in order to get Dolby Digi Surround sound, the Sky HD box must be connected via Optical Wire. Is this true? If so then how should the connections be?

p.s- I have the latest 1TB Sky HD box.

Many Thanks
Andy

DannyTucker001

andyrogers85 said:
I've read that in order to get Dolby Digi Surround sound, the Sky HD box must be connected via Optical Wire. Is this true?

True. Either an Optical or Coaxial Digital.

You may need to tell the amp to get its audio from the Optical/Coaxial. Never used a Yamaha so maybe in Audio/Source setup.

davepuma

Distinguished Member
The only sky box that can output DD5.1 is the latest non standard (no recording facility) box that is usually sold for multi-room. The Sky+HD boxes require the additional digital audio cable.

You will need to go into the input assignment menu and assign the optical input to the relevant HDMI (AV) input so that the audio and video match up. With my 2067, you have to also have to save it as a SCENE by pressing and holding the SCENE button down to store it. This then selects the setup that was saved i.e. HDMI for video and Optical for audio. This is if you want to route both audio and video via the receiver.

If you don't want to route the HDMI cable via the receiver just connect the HDMI to the TV and separately via optical for audio via the receiver. This gives you the option of either using TV speakers with the receiver off or AV receiver speakers with the TV volume turned down. This is handy for quiet viewing and means you don't have to muck around with HDMI passthrough.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom