Connecting Amp to 1TB HD Box. Plz Help!

andyrogers85

Standard Member
Hi Guys

Im new to this, so please forgive me if this has already been asked.

I bought a Yamaha RXV371 Amp and 5.1 speakers and need help connecting it to my Blu-Ray player and Sky HD Box.

I was told to connect the SKY HD and Blu Ray to the Amp via HDMI and then then Amp to the TV via HDMI.
However, I've read that in order to get Dolby Digi Surround sound, the Sky HD box must be connected via Optical Wire. Is this true? If so then how should the connections be?

p.s- I have the latest 1TB Sky HD box.

Many Thanks
Andy

PSM1

Distinguished Member
It is correct that if you want 5.1 surround sound from Sky you will need to connect an optical cable to the amp as only stereo sound is sent via the HDMI. There is no need to connect the HDMI cable from the sky box to the amp (you could connect it direct to the TV) unless you want to use the amp to switch between devices.

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
Its true and you will need one of these:
Digital Optical Cable

Connect that between the sky box and to one of the optical inputs on the avr. (AV1 or AV4 going by the online manual)
You may need to assign the input if not ready done so by default - Refer to AVR's manual for instructions.

EDIT: PSM1 beat me to it - just:smashin:

Last edited:

andyrogers85

Standard Member
It is correct that if you want 5.1 surround sound from Sky you will need to connect an optical cable to the amp as only stereo sound is sent via the HDMI. There is no need to connect the HDMI cable from the sky box to the amp (you could connect it direct to the TV) unless you want to use the amp to switch between devices.

Sorry, but what do you mean by 'unless you want to use the amp to switch between devices'. Is there any advantage of connecting the Sky HD box via HDMI to the amp rather then direct to the TV?

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The only advantage is if you want to use the inputs on the amp to switch between devices. So if you want to click DVD on the amp to watch a DVD and Sat on the amp to watch sky. If you are happy selecting the correct input on the TV then this is no advantage. Also connecting sky to the amp will mean only one HDMI to the TV which may or may not be an advantage depending on your layout.

andyrogers85

Standard Member
The only advantage is if you want to use the inputs on the amp to switch between devices. So if you want to click DVD on the amp to watch a DVD and Sat on the amp to watch sky. If you are happy selecting the correct input on the TV then this is no advantage. Also connecting sky to the amp will mean only one HDMI to the TV which may or may not be an advantage depending on your layout.

Many thanks. I will now connect the Sky Box direct to the TV via HDMI and to the amp via Optical cable.
Also, this way my dad can watch TV without and Amp having to be On, as hes not good with technology.

Last thing, back of my HD box there are optical and Coaxial outputs. Whats the difference between these?

PSM1

Distinguished Member
There is no difference in sound it is just different ways to transmit the sound to the AVR. Both will transmit 5.1 sound and the sound quality will be the same from either. Just pick one and use it. If you already have an optical cable then use this otherwise buy which ever cable is cheapest.

andyrogers85

Standard Member
There is no difference in sound it is just different ways to transmit the sound to the AVR. Both will transmit 5.1 sound and the sound quality will be the same from either. Just pick one and use it. If you already have an optical cable then use this otherwise buy which ever cable is cheapest.

Many thanks. :)

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
Post Deleted

Last edited:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Yes HDMI is the best way to connect a bluray player as it is the only way to get HD audio. HDMI can handle picture and multichannel sound, it is just Sky that is a little funny.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom