Connecting.....AMP / DVD / TV

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by knobitt, May 7, 2001.

1. knobitt

knobitt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Newbie here again :p

Expecting delivery of my first "real" AV Amp(Yam DSP A5) Wednesday morning...the wait is killing me :)

Anyway advice for best way of connecting my Amp, DVD player & TV would be most welcome, also could someone explain(or point me in direction of web site) how an AV Amp controls Video Switching.

At present i'm connected by (basic)scart - DVD/TV, (basic)phono - DVD/Pro-Logic Amp...what new cables(type/brand) will i be needing?

I shall take all suggestions for cables on board...off to buy them tomorrow ready for Wednesday's big delivery :)

Thanks All!

[ 07-05-2001: Message edited by: knobitt ]

2. Matty N

Matty N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check out Andy's post on "Amp Connections" or something like that.

Matt

3. Beddie

Beddie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    My A5 came with a large sheet showing diagrams of the best way to connect up all your kit. Use that as a starting point and you should be fine.

4. Berno

Berno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    While we're on the subject I too am confused as to how to connect my TV(Panasonic TX28PK2) to the DSP-A5.

I would like to use the Dolby Prologic decoder in the Amp instead of the TV, but there is no mention in either the TV manual or the Amp manual as to what connections to make.

There are five phono outputs at the rear of the TV (2 Front, 2 Surround and 1 Centre).

Am I correct in thinking that I can connect the 2 Front outputs at the rear of the TV to the digital TV input on the DSP-A5 and then turn surround sound off at the TV end?

I asked a guy at my local Panasonic shop but he didn't sound too sure of what he was telling me. He thought that the only way to get a prologic signal from the TV was via SCART. Is this correct?

As you can probably tell I'm in a bit of a muddle here. Can anyone help?! :confused:

5. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Berno,

I don't know your TV model, but you should have 2 phono sockets at the back of the set which are stereo left and right. These alone, connected to your amp should provide a Nicam signal that will decode into Pro-Logic if matrixed (i.e. extra surround information) is present.

Good luck.

[ 08-05-2001: Message edited by: bh ]

6. Berno

Berno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks bh :)

My problem is..... the only phono sockets at the back of my TV are "Front R L", "Rear R L", and "Centre". (Five sockets in all)

There are no other phono sockets. So my question is, do I use the "Front R L" sockets? i.e. will they provide the necessary NICAM signal for my amp to decode?

Regards

7. Matty N

Matty N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Berno,

if you connect your front left/right phono sockets to the amps analogue inputs (any will do so longs you remember which!!) there is a danger that this will overload the amplifier - as I am not sure whether this is a line level (used for audio component connection) or a speaker level socket on your TV (amplified to drive the speakers).

Check the manual to resolve this. If it is line level (and it should be using phono sockets) connect to front left/right and disabling the ProLogic processing on the TV should output a stereo feed from the TV using the front left/right. This will be a direct "copy" of the nicam decoded stereo received and will contain the matrixed Dolby Surround signals ready for ProLogic decoding on your amp.

The dealer was also correct in that some SCART sockets not only allow audio/video into the TV, but also output video/audio to another unit such as a VCR. You can play around with this to try and see whether one can be configured to do this. If it can you need a SCART to 3 phono lead (or 6) and you only need to use the audio left/right leads to the back of your amp.

Hope this helps,

Matt

8. Berno

Berno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers Matt, :cool:

Things are begining to become a little clearer now.

The outputs on my TV are line level so I'll give your suggestion a go and connect the Front left and right outputs to a free analogue input.

Wish me luck!

Regards