Connecting Amp and CD Player

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by raven219, Aug 21, 2002.

1. raven219

raven219

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    East Anglia (well someone has to live there!)
    Ratings:
    +19
    Due to evolution and lack of space etc etc, I have arrived at my current setup. I am currently using a Yamaha RX-V620 as the amp to drive my DVD and CD (Sony CDP XE510) players. I am using Van den Hul The Source interconnects for the CD. These were a great bargain when I bought them second hand 5-6 years ago.

Well, now one of the interconnects has died (broken?) and I need to get a replacement. Any recommendations that aren't going to break the bank.

Cheers

Raven

2. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    QED do some good cheap ones. I use he Quinex 1 (or something) and it'ss great for about £20. They do better ones for a bit more too.

S

3. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
  4. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why not just fix it (unless it's carbon of course)?

As for the rest, mostly rip-offs as far as I'm concerned.
    I wonder how many people can actually hear any difference between these interconnects, and of those, how many can repeat the feat blind, especially with this level of equipment?

I used to buy into all this - these days I wouldn't spend more than £5-10 on an interconnect (in fact I usually make them myself now, as then custom lengths are no problem).
    Fair enough, the cheapo super thin ones are a bit crappy, even if it's just from a construction point of view, but there's no need to go overboard - some people spend half of the cost of their CD player for a bit of copper coax and a few GP phono plugs in some fancy packaging with some meaningless marketing blurb printed on it - mostly pseudo-scientific drivel anyway, just an attempt at an excuse for the price.

Once spent though, it's usually easy to hear the difference :) :).

5. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree up to a point. I could not believe the differnece between those old Curries jobs and my first IXOS phonos. I like the QED's because £20 is not overkill and they are built to last as well.

S

6. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    i have an ixos 104 interconnect i am selling for £8. its a lead lead when i bought it for £20-30 can't remember the exact price and would do the job nicely! if its too cheap i also have a chord company Anthem going for £220...:D

7. raven219

raven219

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    East Anglia (well someone has to live there!)
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks for the offer dts_boy.

I popped into a local retailer yesterday who recommended the Audioquest Sidewinder so I am going to give that a try.

Raven