Connecting AE100 question

T

TimF

Ordered a panny AE100 yesterday from av-sales.co.uk and it came today! - Great service

Also got a Pro V and am running Sony 900 dvd and Sky+ via Denon 3802 (Svideo switching) to Pro V and VGA cable to projector - Just got Prog. on a tripod and using cheopo slide projector screen ftb.

Question is, over next week or so (when screen arrives), I will be installing Projector on ceiling and running mains and vga cable under bedroom floor above sitting room.

Should I put in component cables - will a component connection better the Pro V VGA hook up with the DVD? (I bought a 10m SVGA cable)

Also if I upgrade DVD in future and new DVD has progressive scan will I miss not having component cables?

It seems a simpler, cheaper and less ugly installation using just the VGA cable to the projector but image quality is all important to me!!

Any experience of different connections combos most welcome for a newbie to Home Cinema.

Should I put in component cables - will a component connection better the Pro V VGA hook up with the DVD? (I bought a 10m SVGA cable)

Depends how much greif it would be to do it latter if you dont do it now, I have just done the same thing and I have added component, svhs and a composite cable which at the moment I have no requirement for because I use the proV. I would have added a dvi cable as well but you cant get them in 10m lengths. This is because while the upstairs floor is up, its not a probelm to run the cables but once it goes back down, sound tratment put over it and then a laminated wooden floor, wardrobes put on top of that, I really dont want to EVER take that fllor up again for £50 - £200 worth of cables.

Also if I upgrade DVD in future and new DVD has progressive scan will I miss not having component cables?

Yes, in that you will not get the PS signal to the pj via the vga lead and trhe proV, your options would be a PS dvd player that has vga out, a different scaler that accepts a component input and then outputs via the vga.

Having just tried the HTPC option which is widely recognised as the best picture performance and compared it to my own dvd-proV set up, ae100 with Hoya FLD, I found the improvement marginal. I dont think this has any refelction on the PC but on the capabilities of the proV. My conclusion is that with a PS dvd player you might make up the difference between the proV and the HTPC on this particular pj with only 480 vertical lines of resolution, but its probably not worth the expenditure over your existing dvd player.

Thanks John - looks like I need to get 10m component cables/svideo cables - Any recommendation as best make/supplier for this length of run?

Also - don't suppose you have any view on the amp switching the s video signal - would a dedicated switcher do a better job?

Cheers

Tim

Hi Tim

I use http://www.vdctrading.com/ who are the manufacturer of decent cables, properly terminated, all you need, you order on-line and then they phone you back for your credit card details. Cheaper than buying from someone in the middle.

I switch my signals through my Sony 940 and cannot tell the difference between direct or through the amp.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom