CONNECTING ABOX ONE X TO NEW RECEIVER AND 4K Tv

Reaction score
Av
I have just bought an xbox one x. I also have a ps4 slim. Both are Running through a denon
X3400h to a sony kd 65xg8505.

I am wanting the xbox to play back games at 4k but the xbox says it cannot do this. See screen shot.

It only says it can do this when I put the hdmi directly in to the arc slot in the back of the TV.

My question is then, and excuse me for sounding daft, how do I get it to go through the surround sound?

16237666633511824610233202684504.jpg

You must set the 4K signal mode to enhanced on the Denon

Thanks. This has now fixed this. The problem I am.having now is that I am experiencing audio
Delay. This already happened with 2 ps4 players. Adjusting lyp sync is a pain and I have been told to run the player directly.to the arc connection at the back.

The problem with the is that I then I am.not sure how to connect the ab to which port on the TV.

How do you have things set up and connected ? Try and keep things simple if possible. Ideally, you should have all your sources (eg. Xbox and PS4) connected to the HDMI inputs on the Denon AVR and then one HDMI connection between the ARC-enable HDMI ports of both the TV and AVR.

It's not uncommon to come across lip-sync issues when relying on HDMI-ARC for sound while watching TV channels, using a TV's native apps or viewing sources connected to the TV's HDMI ports but there's less chance of getting an audio delay when viewing a source connected directly to the AVR, at least in my experience. If you are having lip-sync issues with this, then you'll have to play around with the delay settings on the AVR (and/or possibly source in some cases).

I'm not sure where you got your advice from but, as far as I'm aware, plugging a PS4 directly into the TV and relying on HDMI-ARC to carry sound from the TV to AVR is more likely to introduce audio delay with your surround sound system, not less. In most cases, it's preferable to connect sources directly to an AVR (provided it supports the video resolutions and audio formats the source outputs).

An optical S/PDIF (toslink) connection is sometimes used as an alternative for audio if lip-sync issues via HDMI can't be overcome.

Ensure you have lip sync set to bypass on your TV. Let the AVR do that. It'll automatically change it as required (unless it's an inbuilt app).

How do you have things set up and connected ? Try and keep things simple if possible. Ideally, you should have all your sources (eg. Xbox and PS4) connected to the HDMI inputs on the Denon AVR and then one HDMI connection between the ARC-enable HDMI ports of both the TV and AVR.

It's not uncommon to come across lip-sync issues when relying on HDMI-ARC for sound while watching TV channels, using a TV's native apps or viewing sources connected to the TV's HDMI ports but there's less chance of getting an audio delay when viewing a source connected directly to the AVR, at least in my experience. If you are having lip-sync issues with this, then you'll have to play around with the delay settings on the AVR (and/or possibly source in some cases).

I'm not sure where you got your advice from but, as far as I'm aware, plugging a PS4 directly into the TV and relying on HDMI-ARC to carry sound from the TV to AVR is more likely to introduce audio delay with your surround sound system, not less. In most cases, it's preferable to connect sources directly to an AVR (provided it supports the video resolutions and audio formats the source outputs).

An optical S/PDIF (toslink) connection is sometimes used as an alternative for audio if lip-sync issues via HDMI can't be overcome.
Thanks for your reply.

I have it set up as you have suggested. I had the lip sync issues on an onkyo 509 and ps4. I have now updated to the denin and have a new ps4 slim. The xbox x is also new but these issues still arise.

I now have the 4k up and running and it looks, well not bad but now awe inspiring. The audio problem remains the same but this is only on blu rays discs and uhd. Streaming from prime or Netflix is not affected.

Should I be going through bit stream or pm? As stated above I'm a novice and getting tangled up in whats going on. Btw it was a chap at richer sounds ds who suggested urging the ps4 directly into the arc.

I would nit have expected the issues to continue with blu rays once I had new systems and had reconnected hdmi leads. I've tried manual loosening but this makes the problem worse.

Thanks for your reply.

I have it set up as you have suggested. I had the lip sync issues on an onkyo 509 and ps4. I have now updated to the denin and have a new ps4 slim. The xbox x is also new but these issues still arise.

I now have the 4k up and running and it looks, well not bad but now awe inspiring. The audio problem remains the same but this is only on blu rays discs and uhd. Streaming from prime or Netflix is not affected.

Should I be going through bit stream or pm? As stated above I'm a novice and getting tangled up in whats going on. Btw it was a chap at richer sounds ds who suggested urging the ps4 directly into the arc.

I would nit have expected the issues to continue with blu rays once I had new systems and had reconnected hdmi leads. I've tried manual loosening but this makes the problem worse.

I would suggest following rtings settings guide for your TV.

When gaming the TV should be using game mode preset for lowest input lag. You will have to manually cycle the preset to game mode if consoles are connected to the Denon.

Of course game mode is not the best for Blu-ray so use cinema preset, also stick to streaming apps built into the TV so they use their own picture preset.

The audio format that is the lowest latency is PCM so if Xbox is connected to the Denon set it to uncompressed PCM 7.1 in Xbox audio settings which is better for games.

Look for "Disc & Blu-ray" settings in Xbox and enable 'Let my receiver decode audio' this is a bitstream option for for the BD app on Xbox so instead of PCM it will pass Dolby/DTS audio formats to your sound system.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom