Connecting a Xbox or PS2 to TFT screen.

L

loafer316

Hi there.

I've bought a TFT screen for my PC which has a DVI and the usual VGA/analogue connections...i'm going to use the DVI input for the PC and was wondering if i could possibly use the the other connection for a direct link to an xbox or PS2?

Does anyone supply a lead that can connect and of these two consoles to the TFT w/o going through the comp?

Will i be able to get an RGB connection?

Plus as i havn't bought any yet...what console would you recommend...and more importantly where can i buy such a lead.

THXS for all your help ;)

I believe you can buy component to VGA adapters so that will sort out the problem about connecting the consoles to your monitor. Plus you could be able to run the Xbox in progressive scan once you have chipped it.

Progressive scan is better than RGB, but you'll get a great picture anyway since component is often rated at least equal to RGB. More often than not its rated slightly higher.

As for what console... That depends on your gaming tastes mate. The Xbox has one title IMO that stands out and thats Halo (plus any Sega titles). The PS2 has been around for some time but it has a huge selection of games of all genres. What you should do, is to ask yourself what gaming genres you like the most (action, RPGs, strategy, drivers, fighters, etc) and then look at the games available.

I can say now though that the PS2 will satisfy pretty much all gaming genres with no problems, plus it has massive backing by the industry. The quality of up and coming Xbox games is a bit lacking IMO but it does have some decent titles.

As ever though, I support owning all 3 next gen consoles for the full picture, but if you can't then the PS2 would be the front runner IMO. You can then think about pairing the PS2 with either the Xbox or Gamecube then.

At the risk of pulling this thread off-topic, if you're only interested in a single console, I think you'd have to be looking at XBox or Gamecube. Considering that the PS2 and the XBox are currently the same price, it seems a bit misguided (despite the large game library) to spend the same amount of money on a system that's nearing the end of its lifecycle. When the price of the PS2 comes down, then I think you'd be able to argue for either console, but right now I just don't see it.

I think that the actual differences in visual quality are so uneven that you cannot choose one console over the other based on that. The Xbox has obvious advantages over the PS2 when it comes to texture management and graphical effects, but they are not used entirely to their best advantage.

Out of the best looking Xbox games and the best looking PS2 games, the Xbox emerges the victor only based on specific elements the PS2 does not manage and that are still only of interest if you like the game. The Xbox does not eliminate all the flaws seen on the PS2, and some flaws seem more common on the Xbox, such as unstable frame rates and tearing.

The Xbox has a significant advantage over the PS2 when it comes to sound. Since the sound processor is powerful and fully independent, it has enough capacity to encode Dolby Digital 5.1 in real time - something the PS2 does not (there are games which use low spec DTS 5.1 on the PS2, but they are very rare). The support for Dolby Digital 5.1 has been made universal by Microsoft so most if not all Xbox games support it. Some PS2 games have cut scenes (one ...or more :rolleyes:) in Dolby Digital 5.1 but in-game sound in Dolby Surround.

At the end of the day, in order to decide which system to go with, you must take a very close look at the existing game library and the upcoming games. Be prepared that there will always be flaws on the PS2 like low-res textures, a lack of advanced shading effects, and 2.0 or matrixed surround. If you feel you can live with that and it appears the PS2 has a library more in your interest, the PS2 might be more of interest.

Not that some developers have chosen to support all the current systems and will release many titles on all three consoles. These titles will vary slightly depending on which console is prioritized and who is making the game on each system. The Xbox may earn better graphics and sound, but when it comes to content it might be quite random which system gets the best version.

If you feel split between the consoles - and a lot of serious gamers do - I think the question is not which one to get, but which one to get first. I have both the Dreamcast, PS2 and Xbox and would not have traded any of them for the other.

If you were looking at it from a technical viewpoint then Zacabeb would be spot on. However most gamers do like to play videogames (Shock! Horror!) which is why I've stated that its best off to look at the games available now. The PS2 will still be around since the PS3 won't be out until 2005 so theres no fear there. Plus if everything was based on technology alone then the GB and GBA wouldn't have sold so well... And of course the PC would be king. Of course the price point comes into effect but all of these consoles are approachable for anyone with a job.

If you must have the best graphics and best sound, then invest in a GF4 4600 Ti and a Soundblaster Audigy soundcard. If you want the best games to suit you then I would look at the genres you like the most (as well as any current games) and base your decision on that.

Neo,

I've just noticed (sad I know) but your picture of kenshin is mirrored, the scars on the wrong side of his face!!! :eek: ;)

Dave

CodeThief, I know mate ^_^ I mirrored it and you're the first one to actually spot it! Kudos. So I'm going to revert it back to its original state. I was thinking about changing it for another Kenshin pic buts its annoying for it to only be 50x50, where on other forums its can be 60x60. Ah well.

I've made quite a few videogame and animé avatars, so if you would like one, just ask. You could say its a reward for spotting the mirror ^_^

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom