1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting a videocard to a screen

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Shadow_Zero, Oct 25, 2003.

1. Shadow_Zero

Shadow_Zero
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Uhm... hard to get a straight question here, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the difference in quality is when connecting a PC to all the different sorts of screens (tv, monitor, lcd, plasma, projector etc.). Differences between s-video, VGA and DVI and all.

When I connect my video card to my standard television with a s-video cable, the quality is pretty bad. That's standard I think. Though when watching a dvd it looks perhaps even better than my stand a lone dvd-player. Is this something what the software dvd-player does then?
    And is there any way to get a clear image on the tv?
    I think there are VGA to video (PAL/NTSC) converters. Do they give any enhancement, or does that work the same as a videocard tv-out?

Also, what is the resolution of a tv? I read different stories about that. Though somewhere I read it can't be compared to computer resolutions since it's interlaced and all, and effectively it could be said that a standard tv has a resolution of about 512x400. Is this correct?
    And are the resolutions of LCD-tv's, Plasma tv's and Projection tv's comparable with computer resolutions?

How does the resolution on a standard tv work when using the tv-out? My computer switches to 800x600 automatically, but that's a resolution that's way out of the league of that 512x400.

Well, these questions for a starter. Hope you can help me out guys :)

2. Shadow_Zero

Shadow_Zero
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need to correct something.
    When I use my tv-out I AM able to change resolution. 800x600 is my lowest resolution possible. But going higher than 800x600 and the image doesn't fit on the tv screen.

Also I wonder why the refresh rate is so low on the tv, when it's a 100 hz tv (or is that just crappy output from the videocard?).