1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting a VCR to a digital TV

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by ss63, Sep 17, 2004.

1. ss63

ss63

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In an attempt to get more feedback I'm re-posting this with a more inclusive "title".

I'm struggling to connect a VCR to a Digital tv (Sony KD-28DL11).

Let me expand on my confusion...

Normally you have 2 scarts on your STB and 2 scarts on your VCR (plus 2 scarts on the TV)

You connect
    1. scart 1 on STB to scart 1 on TV
    2. scart 2 on STB to scart 1 on VCR (to allow recording of digital programmes)
    3. scart 2 on VCR to scart 2 on tv (to allow playback of tapes)

Now...when using a digital tv there is no STB (with SCARTS). So how do you get the equivalent of number 2 above...? (remember the 2 scarts on the tv have been used for 1 and 3).

Silly really - there must be an obvious answer...

2. DoomWolf

DoomWolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I'm not sure why you needed step 3. Before I bought an IDTV, my setup was TV Scart 1 to Sky STB Scart 1, and Sky STB Scart 2 to VCR Scart 1. Playing the VCR would override the Sky picture so I was watching the VCR through the AV1 channel (Scart 1).

I assume your setup should be TV Scart 1 to VCR Scart 1. You also need to make sure you VCR is in the aerial loop, ie outside aerial lead to TV, aerial loop out to VCR aerial in, VCR aerial out to TV aerial loop in.

3. Alun

Alun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +247
    on my sony idtv, i have scart 2 connected to scart 2 on my vcr. If i set my digital tuner to whatever program I want, then set my VCR to line 2 I cn record whatever digital station I am tuned to. I can then watch a different channel using my analogue tuner, or sky box (scart 3) or DVD (scart 1). You have to ensure that you have the scart output set correctly under the tv menu(if that makes sense) other wise it could auto switch and you'd end up recording something else.
    On my sony, scart 1 is an input only scart. the other 2 are both way.