1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting a VCR to a camcorder

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by out of sight, Jun 18, 2003.

1. out of sight

out of sight
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, my first post!

Wonder if you can help...

I've recently started a small business as a videographer and a couple of potential clients have asked about commiting home movies, currently on VHS, to DVD.

I have a PowerMac G4 with a SuperDrive so I have no problem with that aspect, the only aspect I am struggling with is importing the VHS tape to my mini-DV camcorder.

I have a Sony VCR, the model escapes me for the moment, and a Sony DCR PC9 camcorder.

You'll have to excuse my lack of knowledge on the subject so this is what I've tried...

I've hooked up the AV cable that came with the camcorder to try and import it that, but to no avail.

When I DV-in my movies from my computer to my camcorder I use an i-Link/firewire cable. Is there an i-Link/firewire cable that I can hook up to a VCR?

Or am I not correctly using the AV cable?

Or do I need something like the Dazzle DV Bridge adaptor?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I have had a look at the specs for your camcorder and the good news is that it does have firewire in AND analogue in (but you probably knew that :rolleyes: ).
    Right to get a VCRconnected you need to put the AV lead into outputs on the VCR (not the ones on the front as these are normally only inputs). Check the scarts as one of these can also be input only!
    Plug into cam and put cam in VCR mode.
    Now you might (read the manual) be able to just use the cam as a converter and not need to record to DV tape and capture directly to your Mac!

Things to check:
    Is the cam in VCR mode?
    Are there separate in/out ports on the cam?
    Are the VCR ports outputs, not inputs only?

Firewire is a digital link and therefore no VCR will have this port as it is purely analogue.

If you do need to record to DV tape to get the video onto your Mac then it might be a good idea to get a DV/analogue converter as these will be cheaper than replacing the heads/camcorder due to excessive wear and tear.

Mark.

3. out of sight

out of sight
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark,

Thanks for the advice. I'll try that when I get home tonight. Will advise how I get on.