1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting a TV (1 scart) to a DVD (1 scart), video (1 scart) & Sky digibox - help!

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by sdavis1970, Apr 28, 2004.

1. sdavis1970

sdavis1970

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Warning - I'm a complete novice and should in no way be confused with a techie!!

Before I had my DVD player, this is how I'd connected my various scart cables.

The scart socket on the back of my telly was connected to the TV socket on my Sky box and my video was connected to the VCR socket on my Sky box.

This worked fine, ie when I put a tape in and hit play the scart took over and it displayed the video output as expected.

Now I've got a DVD player things have got more complicated, especially as I've only got one scart socket on my telly.

I've bought myself a scart splitter and an extra cable and here's how it looks now:

The scart plug on the splitter is plugged into the TV socket on my Sky box.
    The VCR socket on my Sky box is connected to my DVD player
    My video and my telly have both got a scart cable connecting them to the splitter unit.

I've tried various combinations and this is the closest I can get to perfection.

With this set up I can watch DVDs with no problem but when I play a video nothing happens.

I can see the video output by changing my TV channel to my video output channel but because that isn't using the scart connection I'm getting an echo on the picture - everything appears with a shadow which is unwatchable.

Most people probably have 2 scart sockets on their telly and so don't have this problem, but can you tell by this rambling email whether I'm doing something obviously stupid?

And "buy yourself a new telly, mate" isn't going to help me!!!

All suggestions gratefully received - thanks!

2. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Have you got a splitter box or a switcher box? Is there any kind of button on it to choose which of the ports to use (a switcher), or has it just got two female plugs and 1 male and nothing else (splitter)?

From your description, it sounds like it's a Scart switch, and so the TV and SKy are connected the wrong way round. If it is a splitter, then I'll have to think again!

Balders.

3. sdavis1970

sdavis1970

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Of course, you're assuming I know the difference between a splitter box and a switcher box!

I'll describe it in the only language I know - simplistic! :)

It's basically a scart cable with a male connector on one end, and a box with 5 (yes, 5 - that's all I could get!) female connectors on the other.

I've plugged the male end into the TV socket on my Sky box. Two of the female connectors are in use, one goes to the telly and one goes to the video.

Hope that helps you to help me.

Cheers,

4. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    A splitter unit takes one input and sends it to multiple outputs simultanesously.

A switcher unit takes several inputs and allows you to select which one to send to the output.

Does it have any buttons on it to determine which of the 5 female connectors to use, or are there any input/ output labels on it? Do you have the make/ model?

If it's a splitter, then it sounds like you've got it wired correctly (sending the Sky signal to both the TV and VCR), so I can't see why it's not working!

If it's a switcher, try plugging the male-end into the TV and the Sky TV output to the first female connector.

Balders.

5. sdavis1970

sdavis1970

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From your description what I have is definitely a splitter, there are no switches or anything else on the box except the sockets.

It's a Cambridge Audio splitter, but can't be more specific I'm afraid.

Like you said, it looks like it's been connected up correctly which is why I'm confused.

It's all very frustrating!

6. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Just been reading back over the thread, and am I right in thinking that you DO get a sky picture on your TV? So it's just the video that's giving a problem.

In this case,it's probably something quite simple - the TV and the VCR are both connected to the outputs on your splitter unit. Therefore the signal from your VCR isn't going to get to the TV. The splitter will ONLY allow a signal to go from the input (ie sky) to the outputs (tv/ vcr). It won't allow a signal to be passed between the units plugged into the outputs.

I'm not sure what the answer would be if this is the problem - you could probably do something with several splitters and switches. You'd need to a switcher unit to the TV, fed by the sky and VCR, and also some kind of in/ out splitter connected to the VCR that has three plugs - one to the VCR, an in (from the sky) and an out (to the TV switch unit). It's all a bit messy though!.

Anyone else got any ideas?

Balders.