Connecting a Subwoofer using speaker wire?

bhavanchopra

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

My cinema room has high quality speaker wire installed at several locations, all feeding into a single location where the AVR is (we are running 7.1.4, but we have some extra speaker wires installed in other locations in case we want to move/add speakers/subs).

AVR: Marantz SR7012
Subwoofer: Kef Kube 10b

The subwoofer sits below the projector, where we have a speaker wire available. How can I connect this sub to my AVR when both the AVR and sub use RCA? Am I able to use a speaker wire to RCA connector on both ends, essentially turning the speaker wire into an RCA cable?

Any help would be massively appreciated!

Thanks

Something like this will do the job....

MOBOREST RCA Cable Audio Adapter, Phono RCA Male Plug: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

BEWARE of wire strands shorting out though. Also, because you are using un-shielded wire, you may find that hum is picked up by the cables and passed through to the sub.

Hey John,

Thanks for sharing. I have these adaptors (I ebayed speaker wire to RCA and took a punt on these) but they feel super cheap! Also, I tried feeding my speaker cable into the holes but they are far too small so I haven't actually used them. Is there a more premium option?

With regards to the humming - I guess I will find out when I get it working! But thank you for the heads up!

Thanks

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Well, if you're OK with soldering, just get some standard RCA plugs and solder them on. If you get metal ones, you might want to sleeve over them with some heat-shrink, in case they short out on anything.

You can also cut back some wire strands so the wire fits nto the direct wire section of your sub. Absolutely no worries about loss

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom