1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting a subwoofer to Arcam A75

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by kipper15, Feb 22, 2004.

Tags:
  1. kipper15

kipper15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm planning to buy some new QED speaker cables for my A75, and I want to get the cables terminated with BFA plugs for the amp end. Soon I'll also need to connect the high-level cable from a subwoofer (MJ Acoustics Reference 100) to the A75.

The amp end of the high-level subwoofer cable is actually three separate bare wires...will there be any problems connecting these to the A75 speaker outputs if I have tightly screwed in BFA plugs in them? Or would I be better off keeping my new QED speaker cables plug-free at the amp end to accomodate the sub's wires?

2. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Why not use the low level input on the Sub instead. You will almost certainly get better sound quality that way and you can connect it to the preamp out on the A75.

Andrew

3. kipper15

kipper15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Andrew

Thanks for the reply...the only thing that concerns me about this approach is how do I get the sub to pick up the LFE output from movie soundtracks? - eg from my Pioneer AV receiver.

I plan to connect the Pioneer to the Arcam's AV/DVD inout and use the AV processor switch to fix the gain so that the A75 drives my fronts, with the Pioneer driving the centre and rears. I planned to use the high-level cable connected to the A75 and the low level cable connected to the Pioneer.

Surely the A75 is only going to be able to output a stereo signal to the front left/right speakers from movie soundtracks because it's taking the front left/right signal from the preouts on the Pioneer AV receiver? Or have I lost the plot completely here??? :confused:

4. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    You are correct, I didn't realise you had an AV reciever in the system as well. However your proposed solution has problems. As the Sub you specify has simultanious low and high level inputs (from its marketing blurb on the web) it will mix the signals from the reciever and the front left and right.

This will be OK in stereo as there will presumably be no output from the AV reciever. However when you are playing back from the AV reciever you will get the LFE from the reciever mixed with any bass on the left right from the A75. You can minimise this by setting the AV speaker sizes to small for front left and right as this will mean the base should have already been redirected to the subwoofer channel by the reciever. If you don't do this you will end up with twice as much base as you should have for the front speakers. (which you may like but you just need to be aware of what is happening.)

Too answer your earlier question. If you are going to use the BFA connectors it will be very hard to get a good contact with wires in the terminals as well. So I would recomend using bare wires for both.

Regards,
    Andrew

5. kipper15

kipper15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Sorry...my mistake, I should have mentioned this.

Thanks Andrew.
    This is what I thought. The A75 is packed away at the moment where I can't easily get to it - due to a bit of decorating and re-org of the lounge - and I couldn't remember if there was enough space there or not. Shame, cos I prefer to have my cables properly terminated with plugs.

I'm just wondering - the MJA sub has 2 x low-level phono inputs - I wonder if I could use the Arcam's preouts for stereo listening? e.g. run one cable from the Arcam and one cable from the Pioneer AV amp, into the sub's low-level input. Is this feasible?

Hmmm...now I'm beginning to think I've confused myself unneccesarily :blush:

6. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Assumming it mixes the two signals together, which it almost certainly does. This would be a better solution and would allow you to have your cables properly terminated.

Regards,
    Andrew

7. kipper15

kipper15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again Andrew...I thought that might be the case but it's getting late and my brain is fried...when I get round to plugging all this stuff in, I'll try it out.

Out of interest do you know why Arcam chose the BFA connectors for their amplifiers? 4mm banana plugs seem to be the standard on all my other kit (Pioneer, B&W).

8. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    EU law dictated that 4mm bannana plugs should not be used on amplifiers because someone eletrocuted themself by plugging them into a mains socket (in Europe where they have round pins). ARCAM did the right thing and changed to BFA connectors most other manufacturers just stuck little bungs into the 4mm plugs It ended up being such a problem to our customers that we now do the same thing and have changed to Sockets that have their 4mm plugs blocked using bungs.

Andrew

9. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I also have a question along the same lines. I've just bought an MJA Ref 1 sub and I'm debating whether or not to connect the high level as well as the low level. Does the same apply with my AV8 or will it be better for me to use both so I can set the sub to a different level for stereo listening.

The obvious answer would be to try both but I can't do that until the new plugs are crimped onto my speaker cable.

10. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    If you connect both with an AV8 you will end up with too much bas as you will get the base from the High level feed mixed to the base from the low level feed.

I would recomend using the low level. The AV8 has a independant ofset control to adjust the stereo subwoofer level so you can have different subwoofer levels for surround material and stereo. The control is in the Subwoofer settings menu in the setup menus and is called Sub Stereo. This allows you to automaticaly turn the sub down by the amount set when in stereo.

Please note that in Direct mode this will not operate as the DSP ADC and DAC will have been shut down to improve sound quality. Direct mode assumes that you are using full range front speakers just like you had a analogue preamplifer and you do not need a sub feed. So to use the sub in stereo you need to use stereo as selected by the mode button.

To decide what type of speaker set up you want to use for stereo use the Stereo Mode option on the Subwoofer settings page. The options are faily obvious:

Sub + Sat = use for very small left right speakers or speakers that cannot cope with base (such as MK THX speakers).

Large = use for full range front speakers no sub

Large +Sub = Use for full range front speakers if you want extra base feed as well as that going to left and right.

Regards,
    Andrew

11. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Andrew that's really helpful, I've been having a look at the menu's and to me it sounds pretty good as it is anyway, I will just set the stereo sub setting a bit lower. so are you saying that when I use direct mode for the CD input it will override the sub and I will just get the full range from my front speakers? I wasn't sure if it was cancelling out the sub but my speakers weren't being fed a full range signal as I have them set to small.

12. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Andrew ignore my last question I just re-read your post and realised that you said if I use the direct mode the AV8 assumes I'm using full range speakers which I am. It's been a long week!

Thanks again,
    Tracey :blush: