• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Connecting a subwoofer to a floating circuit integrated amplifier (Yamaha)

3t3p

Established Member
I've decided to go integrated in conjunction with my AVR for stereo music duties, so I need an amp with HT Bypass.

The Yamaha AS1100/2100 have really caught my eye but yet to audition them. They have a version of HT Bypass.

Unfortunately you can't connect my BK XXLs400's to the Yamahas via high-level as they are floating circuit reference amplifiers and speakon neutrik connection is therefore compatible.

The A1100 manual suggests to connect your active subs via L & R RCA jacks, which is fine, except I will then use up the R (mono) RCA jack on the XXLs400 which currently is plugged into the sub-out of my RX-A3070 AVR.

So i'm really stuck, my back up plan is the Arcam SA20 which is a traditional earth-reference amp but I know the Yamaha is gonna be great.
Yeah I really need to run subs though for stereo, it's just what I believe:)

Would I maybe run the front L & R speakers full range from the AVR (i.e. without 80hz cutoff) and have bass for movies then come out of the Yamaha integrated via the R & L RCA pre-outs and into the subs?

Any ideas?

3t3p

Established Member
Ok So I rang Tom at BK Elec today. He said for class D or bridged amplifiers what you would do is take the red lead from the speakon three wire bundle and connect it to a positive terminal on one side ( e.g. Right) on the integrated amplifier.

You then tape the end of the yellow lead and leave it unused.

You then take the black wire on the speakon and solder it to the outer case part of an RCA cable. Plug the RCA cable into any spare RCA socket on the AVR to use it as a surrogate ground reference so to speak.

The sub will be running in mono though this really doesn't matter.
Conceivably however I could do the same process for the other subwoofer to the other channel side (i.e. the LEFT side) on the integrated amplifier.

Final step plug in the speakon connector end to the subwoofer(s) and adjust high level gain/cutoff dials as necessary.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom