Connecting a sub

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Tracey, Feb 5, 2001.

1. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Paradigm PDR-10 sub and if anyone has one of these the instruction manual wasn't very helpful, ok I know it's only a speaker but it didn't make sense to me. Anyway, I have mine connected as follows: single phono to phono interconnect from the sub to the sub input on my Sony STR-DB830 and the speaker cable is connected to one of the spare front speaker terminals. When I originally connected this up I was convinced it was wrong, surely there must be a separate speaker termminal for the sub, but this was the only way I could get the sub to work so it's still connected like this. Am I being completely stupid, is there any other way that this is supposed to be connected? Acording to the manual for the sub (well the way I interpreted it) I thought if you had a single phono to phono interconnect that's all the needed to be connected and you don't need speaker cable. How has everyone else got their subs connected, I'd be interested to know becuase if I'm doing something wrong I'm obvioulsy not getting the best out of it.

Thanks!

2. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too have a Paradigm PDR-10 linked up to a Pioneer VSX808 reciever.

I am using a single phono to phono lead to the sub out on the back of the amp.

Are you not getting anything from the sub unless you have the speaker terminals linked up too? even on 5.1 soundtracks?

------------------
    "I dont know what the hell's in there, but it's wierd and ****ed off whatever it is!"
    MacReady:
    The member formaly known as Jason

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The sub connects simply by the phono lead, is there not a setting on your amp to turn the sub on?

4. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't experimented for a while but I know when I first tried it I could not get anything out of the sub at all unless I connected the speaker cable, I thought that was wrong. I have a Sony STR-DB830 and I have definitley got sub set to YES on the setup. I'll have to try it again. So you're both saying that all I need is a single phono to phone interconnect going from the sub to the sub out on the amp and no speaker cable and this should work? I'm sure I tried this before, I even tried both of the sub out's in case one of them wasn't working and I turned the sub up 3/4 of the way all I got was a nasty buzzing, definitely not thuds or bass until I used the speaker cable. I'll try again at the weekend, it's bugging me now because I don't suppose I'm getting the best out of my sub.

thanks for the advice [​IMG]

5. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Me again! I had a quick look at my sub again last night, I didn't have time to unplug all the connections at the back of the amp, but I tried disconnecting the speaker cable and there was definiltey no outpur even on 5.1 DD and DTS soundtracks. I've definiltey got the sub turn on, on the amp, so now I need to work out what isn't working, is it the phono interconnect? I can't see how it can be the sub or the amp as they both must be wroking otherwise I wouldn't get anything by connecting the speaker cable, but then again I would have thought it's very rare to get a dodgy interconnect too because they're sealed. I'll have to have a look at the weekend and if I still cant get it to work maybe I'll take it back to Ricerh Sounds because it's still under guarantee and they may let me try out the interconnect too.

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I assume you were referring to the "Subwoofer Output" in your very first post!?
    Not that you are using the "subwoofer in" of the 5.1 input ... [​IMG]

Anyhow, a single RCA/phono connection (line level) should be all you need, the rest is taken care of by the amp.

Try setting the front speakers to SMALL and the sub to YES, then see if it will kick in.
    Yes: the decoder in your amp is faulty (hence you wouldn't here the sub with DD/DTS 5.1 soundtracks)
    No: the sub is faulty, most probably the pre-amp stage which would explain why a speaker connection (also called high-level) works

------------------
    If I can't eat it, drink it or fudge it, I ain't interested.

7. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Reiner,

yes it's definiltey connected to the Sub OUT on the amp, not the 5.1 channel inputs.

thanks for the help, I hope it's not the amp that's faulty because that isn't under guarantee anymore [​IMG]