1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting a sub to a NAD C372, there's no sub pre-out!

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by ~Kev H~, Feb 16, 2004.

1. ~Kev H~

~Kev H~
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm as good as sold on the SVS 20-39 PC+ subwoofer and I'm just awaiting an email back from SVS regarding delivery times.
    There are only so many reviews of a speaker you can read without seeing one bad word said before you cave in!

I thought I'd just check whether my amplifier (a NAD C372) had a mono "sub-out" or a stereo one, it has Neither !!

There are Pre-out's 1 and 2 at the back and the Pre-out1 has connectors in it which feed it into the "Main In" sockets. Am I right in assuming I just need to somehow take the signal from Pre-out1 and split it, feeding one into the new sub and one back into the "Main In"??

Will this deteriorate the performance of the amplifier in any way? Surely splitting the signal in 2 is like having 2 loads in parallel? wont this draw more current from the on board preamp than it is designed for?

I was about to email NAD about this but thought I'd ask here first! :)

Thanks in advance

Kev

2. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For a plug n play integration of sub to speaker, conect the SVS between Pre outs on NAD and main ins on NAD.

Good amp...

3. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
  4. ~Kev H~

~Kev H~
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh! Hadn't even thought of that, forgive my ignorance, this will be the first sub I've purchased.

So if I run twin RCA's from Pre-out 1 on the amp to the sub and then another set of RCA's from the sub back to the "Main in" for the amp would it filter off the frequencies to be produced by the sub and pass back to the amp the rest of the signal?

Kev

5. ~Kev H~

~Kev H~
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Nimby! I purchased the amplifier before NAD had even updated their website to include the C372 but had assumed anything I needed to know would be included in the Manual. Clearly not!

Right then, confident that connecting this up will not cause a problem leaves me with only one thing to do... Place the order ! :)

I received an email from SVS saying that I could expect the delivered product 1.5 - 2 weeks (plus 3 to 6 days in transit) from the day I order it. Cant wait :)

I was pretty sure it would not present a problem but it is certainly nice to get a second or third opinion. Cheers people.

Kev

6. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Originally posted by ~Kev H~

"So if I run twin RCA's from Pre-out 1 on the amp to the sub and then another set of RCA's from the sub back to the "Main in" for the amp would it filter off the frequencies to be produced by the sub and pass back to the amp the rest of the signal?"

Kev

Can an SVS active sub produce a high pass filter effect on a returned signal to the power amp of the NAD?

My understanding was that you simply fed the active sub with a low level signal (from the pre-out2 in the case of your NAD). I wasn't aware of a built in active crossover in the SVS sub amp.

Great if it were true though. Lighten the bass load on the main speakers and allow a perfect roll-off point to be achieved. That suited both the mains and the sub.

Can anyone confirm the existence of a high pass filter on the "out" RCA sockets with the SVS subs please? I imagined these were simply for low level "daisychaining" further subs.

NIMBY :)