1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting a Sanyo PLV30 to a VCR

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by melvynadam, Jul 28, 2002.

1. melvynadam

melvynadam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a basic Sanyo VCR with a SCART output. I have a Marantz SR5200 amp and a Sanyo PLV30 projector.
    I think I have everything connected properly and yet I can't see any images from my video. The audio is fine but I'd like to see what I'm watching too!
    The video has a SCART cable connected which comes out to six phono plugs. These six are AudioL/AudioR/Video 'out' and 'in'.
    Into the back of the Marantz I have plugged the AudioL and AudioR (OUT) into VCR1 on the audio IN sector.
    Next to this, in line with the audio 'ins' is a VCR1 Video IN. So I've plugged the Video OUT.
    Next, I've taken an SVideo cable from the projector to the "VCR1 OUT" svideo connector on the back of the Marantz. It doesn't matter if I switch this to the "Monitor" output I still see nothing on the projector. I have, of course, selected SVideo on the Projectors input.
    Incidentally, I have a component cable connected to the projector too and a Toshiba 510e at the other end.
    Help! I'd like to be able to watch my videos not just my DVDs!

2. AlfaKhan

AlfaKhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi melvynadam,

I don't really know the Marantz SR5200, but, as a rule, AV amps usually process the different signal matrixes independently. This is to say that if you want component signal OUT of the amp, you have to provide component IN from some source. Same with S-video or composite.

Usually it is not possible to get composite IN to the amp and get S-video OUT as, it seems, you're trying to do.

HB

3. melvynadam

melvynadam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought a 10m SVideo cable and there doesn't appear to be a composite socket on the back of the projector (just component and SVideo). Any way to convert the jack at the amp end? Some sort of adaptor?
    Thanks so far.

4. AlfaKhan

AlfaKhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The yellow RCA socket on the PLV30 doubles as the "Y" input for component video and as "plain vanilla" composite video input.

Route the composite signal all the way from the VCR, through the amp and into this socket.

Also you can check if the VCR can output S-Video signals, either through a dedicated output or enabling S-video out through the Scart socket (some VCRs have this feature). You could then make a "S-video route" all the way from the VCR to the projector and benefit from a better signal.

Remember to select either "AUTO" (with no other signal in) or "VIDEO" in the PLV30 menu to display the composite signal.

HB

5. jonny m

jonny m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    melvynadam

what wont work is sending the composite signal to the pj via svid, I tried this once and was confused why it wouldnt work as it was fine on my phillips tv, generally tv's are far more forgiving than pj's.

also your amp won't convert between composite and svid, the very high end ones can do though.

i was piping the picture from my ondigital box into my plv-30 clone pj by using the scart that splits it into video +L+R, video went into the yellow Y component connector marked video.

you will run into problems using component and composite input, one way around this is to get hold of one of the prov's that can take a composite\svid signal and output using a vga connector, you could then use the vga and composite connectors and I think the prov does a better job of producing an image than the pj's internal scaler.

regards
    j