Connecting a ROTEL 1095 to a.........................

BadAss

Ex Member
Reaction score
I have a Rotel 1095 power amp which is being fed by a Yamaha 3090 using phono to phono leads. What I want to know is should I replace these leads for more phono to phono's or wait a year untill I get a new processor like a Tag or Lexicon which may or maynot use different connectors. The Rotel has XLR outputs but I'm not sure what the other manufactuers are using.

I would say most integrated units (AV amps and Receivers) have phono connections only or , in some rare cases, DB25 connectors while AV processors have phono and/or XLR.

Would need to check the particular model you have in mind, but since you plan to upgrade I would perhaps not spend a fortune in new leads right now.

BA - I'm very interested in this particular power amp myself. How long have you had it and what judgement do you now have of the beast (presumably you've recovered from the back strain from when you lifted it onto your racking?!) ;)

As far as I know the 1095 has xlr balanced connections BUT isn fully balanced internaly - i.e. xlr is mostly a wast of time with this amp (but not completely).

Your right about the backstrain. Only today I had to disconnect the BEAST inorder to have Cable fitted. As for the sound, it realy does sound more powerful. Music has more beat. Stereo imaging is more precise. But I think it would sound even better if I had expensive cables. I have three good quality cables which I use for my RPTV (component inputs) which makes a dramatic difference in picture quality. I've tried them on the amp and tested them using gladiator and when sword blades clash you get a realy nice tingging sound. Not so much on the cheaper cables. So the top end is not as good. If the other processors are using phones then I'll spend £100+ on five. Anyone got any recomendations?

BadAss,
Did you see the thread on cables etc a while back?

It was quite informative as to what is really what with cables.
I always used to believe in good quality stuff as 'sounding' better, but Stuart Robinson would take issue with that when you go to far.
Since then I have really looked into it.

Firstly, I actually like phono analogue interconnects. Even more than coax/optical digital. I am also sceptical as to the benefits of XLR, unless you are in the realms of balanced leads, components and all else in the chain. Yet to be convinced on that one.

Secondly, having learnt loads from lots of posts on this forum, that there are certain elements in an interconnect that are far more important than what a lot of manfacturers claim. To see what I mean, go to and read, there is a lot, at www.belden.com who poss make the best stuff in the world! www.qed.co.uk produced (not perfect) a report themselves about what makes a good cable too.

If you're after the manufactured type of cable, then you can't go far wrong with companies like Chord, QED, Ixos, Van De Hul etc.

However, if you really want to get the best performance from your amp which will sound a million dollars (good rep), check out the following, if you fancy a bit of DIY.
It will be worth it and far exceed what you'll get commercially!
www.tnt-audio.com
And this link from Ramius, who by the way is a man to speak to if you want more info, http://sound.westhost.com/articles.htm.

XLR is IMHO only of benefit for long runs of cables and/or studio use, especially with microphones connected to the mixer.
Due to the balanced design the distortion introduced will have less effect than with a normal cable.

Perhaps on the short connection between pre- and poweramp not so much of a benefit.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom