Connecting a REL sub to an (unusual) biamped system

reggiegasket

Standard Member
Bear with me ... but I have an unusual setup in that I have a Yamaha receiver plus two Rotel power amps, configured in a vertical biamped setup (stereo hifi).
The Yamaha essentially acts as just a source/preamp (radio, streamer etc.) but as it doesn't have any pre outs I have to take the signal from the speaker outputs instead and send it to the two Rotel amps, via a high-level to low-level (RCA) adaptor. The left channel speaker output from the Yamaha goes to one Rotel amp, which in turn powers the left speaker (bi-wired) and the right channel speaker output goes to the other Rotel amp, which powers the right speaker.

Following me?
Now, the question is how to connect the REL sub (high-level)?
I can either connect it to the Yamaha speaker outputs, as in a 'normal' high-level setup,
or I could (maybe) connect it to one of the Rotel amps?
My hunch is to connect it to the Yamaha speaker outputs but I'm happy to be told otherwise.... I've sent REL an email too.
[all the amps are A/B type, and the Yamaha does not have a low-level sub output, so this must be done high-level].

3rdignis

What are the three model numbers?

reggiegasket

Standard Member
Yammy is a RN-402D
Rotels are both RB-971

3rdignis

As requested, if I understand you.

Following rel instructions, one channel of right power amp is right high level, one channel of left power amp is left channel.

3rdignis

Warning : do not use high level sub connections in bridged mode.

3rdignis

Yep, attaching rel to yammaha makes sense.

3rdignis

I wouldn't set things up this way.

What equipment do you have attatched to the Yamaha, how do you use it?

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
In the future replace the Yamaha with a stereo pre-amplifier with two sets of pre outputs. I can't think using high level to low level just to feed the Rotel amps is going to help matters in sound quality.

reggiegasket

Standard Member
thanks all. REL have come back and say attaching the sub to the Yamaha will be fine.

re. replacing the Yammy with a preamp... this would be the obvious way to go but it's job is more than just a 'preamp'. It also acts as a few sources: DAB radio, streamer, bluetooth, so a one-box replacement isn't so obvious. I could have a preamp + separate streamer, DAB etc. but that's just more boxes... and I already have four (yammy, 2 power amps and the CDP). The only problem is that the yammy doesn't have dedicated preouts, which the adapter 'solves'.

reggiegasket

Standard Member
Something like the Marantz NR1200 would perhaps be better, as it has preouts.

In an ideal world I'd have a one-box preamp/streamer running BluOS for streaming, plus DAB radio, plus plenty of knobs and dials to adjust everything manually, as the system in in my workshop and I don't want to have to pull out the phone every time I need to adjust anything.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom