Connecting a rear view camera to a Nextbase 322GW Dashcam - Having problems

brymbo76

Established Member
Reaction score
As a little gift for myself for Christmas, I bought myself an add-on rear-view camera for my Nextbase 322GW dash cam.
The device is the type that has its own magnetic base that the camera attaches to and then sticks on to the rear view window and has a 6.5m long cable with mini-HDMI connector that plugs into the side of the 322GW Nextbase Dashcam. This is also compatible with 422GW, 522GW and 622GW Nextbase dashcams. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nextbase-Dash-Compatible-Window-Camera/dp/B07PV8NSF2/ref=sr_1_2?crid=171K0EN6FXTK3&keywords=nextbase+rear+camera&qid=1676819995&sprefix=nextbase+r,aps,228&sr=8-2

Anyway, for some reason, my dashcam seems to freeze when I switch it on and becomes inoperable after I try to plug in the rear view camera and I don't know why.
I set up the dashcam to like I read in the instruction then switched it off then plugged in the camera then switched it back on but all that happens is the dashcam records for 1 second only then stops. I can't switch it off or press the touch screen or anything. Unplugging the rear view camera doesn't do anything.
The only way to restore it is to unplug the rear view camera, press the reset button then it works OK again.
I have tried changing other settings and formatting the card but the dashcam still freezes when I switch it on with the rear camera attached.

I have contacted Nextbase about my problem and their first response was asking what type of card I was using. I replied saying I was using a SanDisk Extreme U3 A2 V30 micro SD card.
I could've predicted what their response would be. I knew they would say something about using a different brand SD card in their dash cams. My prediction was right.
Their reply was as follows:
"The SD card you're using doesn't reach the minimum specs required for your camera.

SanDisk Extreme, Extreme Pro, High Endurance and Max Endurance SD cards are not designed to be used inside Nextbase Dash Cams and SanDisk void their own Extreme, Extreme Pro and Max SD card warranty if one is used inside a Dash Cam.

For best results, we only recommend using Nextbase (U3) SD cards currently up to 128GB capacity".

Does anyone use a different brand SD card in a Nextbase dash cam?
If so, how have you found it to work in a Nextbase dash cam?

Because I don't honestly believe that a Nextbase SD card is designed and manufactured any differently and designed to work any differently to any other well-respected manufacturer of SD cards like SanDisk, Kingston and Samsung.
In my opinion I think they only recommended me use a Nextbase SD card because it means more money for them and that's the only reason.

The packaging and descriptions for the SanDisk Extreme SD card I am using says it is suitable for dash cams.
I can't imagine for one second that there is anything different in the design and construction on the Nextbase brand of SD cards compared to other well-respected brands of SD cards like SanDisk, Kingston or Samsung.
Seems like Nextbase only want users of their Nextbase dash cams to use Nextbase SD cards as it means more profits for Nextbase!

I'd be interested in hearing Nextbase's response to explain exactly how their SD cards differ from other manufacturer's SD cards that specify they are designed to work in dash cams.
Also if their is anyone reading my thread who may also be able to explain if their is any difference in the construction and operation of a Nextbase U3 SD card to a different brand of U3 SD card such as the SanDisk Extreme card I am using in mine, I would be interested in hearing your explanation.

Does anyone know what could be wrong if it isn't the SD card?
Is it a fault on the dashcam or the rear camera?
Hope someone can suggest a solution. and hope to hear your views and experiences on this matter.
Thanks.

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Can anyone suggest anything or explain if there is any difference between my SanDisk Extreme U3 card and a Nextbase U3 SD card?
Hope to hear from some of you soon.
Thanks.

From my experience with dash-cams, don’t use standard SD cards. Get a high endurance card, these are able to take constant write/rewrite cycles for prolonged periods.

Amazon product ASIN B084CJ9T2R

So can you explain how a SanDisk Max Endurance U3 card differs from a SanDisk Extreme U3 card or a Nextbase U3 card?

Because the constant overwriting of video files can damages standard cards, causing corrupt video,or,failure. I experienced this myself until I switched to high endurance which resolved the,problem.

Well like I said, I am using a U3 SD card which Nextbase recommends. Except they only recommend a Nextbase U3 card.
A SanDisk Extreme U3 card which is a high quality U3 SD card, apart from it being a Sandisk card, should work exactly the same as a Nextbase U3 card. In my opinion apart from the brand, both cards should be of the same quality and work exactly the same.

So like I said, can you explain how a SanDisk Max Endurance U3 card differs from a SanDisk Extreme U3 card or a Nextbase U3 card?

So like I said, can you explain how a SanDisk Max Endurance U3 card differs from a SanDisk Extreme U3 card or a Nextbase U3 card?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom