Connecting a PSP to a PC

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by jparton, Dec 29, 2006.

1. jparton

jparton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    When I connected the PSP to my PC for the first time yesterday, the plug & play recognised the PSP (a balloon pop up saying something like Sony PSP Type A) but for some reason the auto detect failed and I got a second balloon saying there was a problem and your device may not function correctly, and was left with the scissors like logo in the system tray.

When I connect my PSP now it is only recognised as removable storage, rather than a PSP, so PSPVideo 9 for instance does not recognise the PSP as being connected to transfer video content.

I can still manually create the right directory structure on the memory stick and move files using windows explorer, but I wondered if anyone had any tips on how to get the PSP correctly recognised by Windows?

BTW I've also deleted the "Generic storage" device from Hardware Manager to see if that would force a redetect, but it didn't.

Thanks in advance

2. tinners

tinners

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    PSPVideo9 can be forced to a certain drive and shouldnt care whether its a PSP or not. I have written files to a microdrive from PSPVideo9 OK. Does it not detect whether it's a PSP by the file structure on the memory stick ?

Have you tried reformating your memory stick (obviously copy off the files you need) This will recreate the right structure on the memory stick.

My PSP is only recognised in Windows as a removable device. The PSP Icon and Name come from the .ico file on the memory stick.

3. jparton

jparton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks. I manually created the file structure so I could play the movie I put on the memory stick.

It's a new memory stick which I haven't formatted via the PSP so that could explain it not being recognised by PSPVideo9 as a PSP, thanks.