1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

connecting a PS2 to my AV rcvr

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by dumbass, Jan 6, 2005.

1. dumbass

dumbass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Setting up my home cinema system.

How do I connect my Ps2?? Used to be just RGB straight to the TV, tried putting the RGB straight in the receiver, but you obviously just get sound, and no picture. Is it a case of connecting an s-video from the AV receiver to the TV as well??

cheers

2. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    In your case you would need either composite, s-vid or component (if your TV/amp have them) out from the monitor output on your amp to your TV. ANother way would be to split the original composite PS2 cable (red, white & yellow) and plug the yellow lead into your TV as composite, and the red & white into your receiver composite input for the sound, this will then be 2-channel audio into your amp so would then need to use DLP or DLPII. OR you can use the RGB scart connector from your PS2 into your TV as before, and run an optical cable out from your PS2 to one of your optical inputs on your amp. This will then send a DTS signal to your amp if the game has it, i.e. proper surround sound. All you have to do is mute the TV.
    HTH

3. dumbass

dumbass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much mate.

I think the latter, optical cable option. Will then any game with standard Dolby Digital 5.1 work properly in 5.1? Or does it have to have DTS sound? I'm thinking specifically about San Andreas here btw...!

4. KingOfGondor

KingOfGondor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    PS2 doesn't do DD so any games will only be DTS or DPLII

5. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I don't think san andreas has a dts soundtrack, would normally have a dolby digital advert pop up when starting game if it has.
    Just put your receiver in DLPII mode and it will decode it into 5.1 for you.

6. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
  7. 406lx

406lx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    San Andreas has a Pro logic 2 soundtrack, Vice City had DTS

8. dumbass

dumbass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies guys, but having, I thought, got it all sorted - I got in a right pickle again lats night so feel the need to start again.

The fact I have a HOME CHOICE digital box is the complication. I have the TV, the home choice box, the dvd recorder and the AV receiver. I want to connect them all up so I have everything possible in 5.1. Then I want to control it all by the DVD remote - which I basically already have sorted.

How should I properly connect everything?!