1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

connecting a plasma via long cables??

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by (GTV)Chris, Jan 9, 2004.

1. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I want to buy a 42" plasma monitor and run it from my sky+ that will be situated on the other side of the room in an equipment rack.
    What is the best way to connect? I can run through the cieling and into a recess in the wall to hide any cables.
    I know Sky+ has s-video, RGB and an ariel out.
    Will a long lead degrade the picture quality?
    Also - if I use my Digital Amp can I patch visual equipment into this amp then into my Plasma so I can change sources?

Many thanks

Chris

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Hi Chris,

RGB is the best quality signal from a Sky+ box, so you could run a long RGB-only Scart lead to your plasma if it has an RGB Scart input. If it hasn't, you could convert the RGB signal to VGA using a suitable converter from www.js-technology.com and then input this to your plasma. Long, good quality VGA leads can be purchased from www.lindy.com/uk Hope this helps.

Steve

3. Warpaint

Warpaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Its generally accepted that composite video and RGB maintain a better picture quality through longer cables than S-Video. I wouldn't generally use composite unless you have no choice, so RGB would be your best choice. You can get long high quality scart cables.
    Component video will also be quite good through long cables. (I have used up to 14metres with good results on projectors).
    Most AV amplifiers have video switching capabilities and some will up-convert to either S-video or component or both. This can be a useful option if you want to connect several sources to the display through one cable. How do you plan to connect your DVD?

Yes you will lose some quality, but not too much if the cables are good.
    The best option would be to get your equipment closer to the plasma.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    If your amp switches component you're in luck, cos component travels better than most on long cable runs. 10m is fine on a good cable, so you'd need a JS RGB to component converter, bung that to the amp, and dvd with component, then you've got 1 cable to the plasma. Until you add a shedload more components of course.

5. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers Fellas

That is more than helpful.

Chris

6. TwistedPear

TwistedPear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Long video runs can be achieved with very little signal quality degredation, using Balun's. These devices convert an Audio or Video signal so that it can be carried over twisted pairs of copper wire, sometimes over 1,000 feet. You can have a look at the MadNat website (which I run), and find Baluns for all of the video formats discussed in this link (Composite, RGB - sync on Green, Component and even VGA). There are also Audio formats (Analogue and Digital - Coax). In most cases more than one signal can be sent via a single Cat5 cable as it has 4 pairs - for example Component and Composite could be sent via a single Cat5 cable (3 x pairs for component, and 1 pair for composite). By all means send me an email if you need further help.

I hope you find this helpful

Mike

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    That's a great option if you run into cabling problems, no room, hard to run, etc. as cat5 takes up so little room. Up to 10-12m or so, component is low loss and reasonable cost, but you'd want something you could tie a ship up with, not easily chased into the plaster! Good suggestion, though at some cost if in reasonable range. Cost of decent cable over very long runs makes it increasingly viable of course.