1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting a plasma to pc!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by RHCP, Aug 23, 2005.

1. RHCP

RHCP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I’m considering buying a plasma, really don’t know which one yet! Will any of these connect to a pc with good viewing quality?

Panasonic TH-42PWD7BK
    SAMSUNG PS42S5sd (or h)
    Hitachi 42PD5200 (h)

Will I need any special cable or just a long vga cable (think that’s what its called, which goes into the back of a pc).

Thanks

2. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    No.

Plasmas are not well-suited for use as PC monitors. The two main reasons are:

1) The pixels are often not square. This means either your display is scaled (and thus blurry), or your Windows desktop is stretched or compressed into the wrong shape.

2) They are very susceptible to screen burn. When displaying only video this isn't much of an issue, but when displaying something static (like the Windows desktop) it becomes a big problem.

Problem 1 can be overcome by buying a 1366x768 50" screen, but that's much more expensive. Problem 2 is unavoidable.

Many plasmas will accept a VGA input, but they will look better with DVI. If your graphics card has only VGA (analogue) output then it's probably about time you upgraded it anyway. :devil:

3. RHCP

RHCP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I only wanted to get a wireless keyboard with integrated rollerball so i could sit on my bed a surf the net on a 42" plasma.

Looks like i'll have to walk 2 paces :eek: to my computer and surf from there.

Nevermind! :boring: just being lazy :boring:

"Many plasmas will accept a VGA input, but they will look better with DVI. If your graphics card has only VGA (analogue) output then it's probably about time you upgraded it anyway."

ok if i upgrade the graphics card, what card would i need and what type of cable would i need? :)