1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting a PCU to two set-ups

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Daneel, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I currently have my PCU connected to my receiver by line level inputs currently via a BFD. The receiver is handling the cross-over of 80Hz.

I've just bought a Primare Pre30 and a Parasound A23

I'm planning to integrate these into my system either by using the Pre30's AV inputs to pass the receiver signal through, or using the unbalanced inputs of the A23 for my receiver and balanced inputs for the Pre30.

I'm wondering how I can make use of my PCU in the new stereo part of my system. I have a line level output from the Pre30 that I could use (assuming it will output a signal on both balanced terminals and unbalanced at the same time) and set the crossover on the PCU to handle what my mains (JM Lab Electra 926) can't but I think that would interfere with my receiver?

I also believe I have the option of using the high level inputs but I don't really understand how that works.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Bass-Oldie

Bass-Oldie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I can only tell from a different brand, where it's no problem at all, to connect a sub to two setups. One via the RCA inputs and the other via the Speaker connections. This Sub then just sums the signal up, if both are delivered, but in normal mode only one of the sets would be active at any time. But nothing will break, even if both are on at the same time.

The only "difficult" thing would be the use of the corssover section, as this works always for both inputs. You may need to trigger the Bypass switch from ON to OFF every time you go from HC to Stereo and backwards.

I believe the Amp within a SVS is built very similar to the model of the competition. Give it a try and connect the Parasound Speaker Outputs to the Sub and give it a try.

3. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    There is certainly no problem using both high and low level connections at the same time with active SV Subs. (other than the PB10-ISD which lacks high level connections)

High level connections are simply speaker cable connections in stereo using the same amplifier speaker terminals as your main speakers.

Or by connecting the sub from the backs of your main speakers. Again using speaker cables. Some claim sound quality advantages with the latter connections in some systems.

There is a 12dB/octave roll off on the low-level connections and a 6dB/octave roll-off with the high-level connections.

Additionally, the SVS Bash amps offer speaker output terminals. Which allow a bass-filtered signal to pass to the main speakers where desired to reduce the load on the main speakers and a stereo amplifier.

In this case the speakers would only be connected to the output terminals of the Bash amp and not to the stereo amp.

All these methods are for connecting unsophsticated stereo amps. But may also be used for AV of course. Though in this case the AV box(es) would usually do the filtering in the digital domain rather than relying on SVS/Bash's passive filtration.

Regards
    Nimby

4. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Thanks guys.

If I connect the parasound to the sub then sub to my speakers, which amp is powering my speakers? (I'm not sure if the SVS can just remove the lower frequencies and pass the Parasound's power through, or if the SVS itself ends up powering my mains (I doubt this as many including me would find this unacceptable).

Connecting the Parasound to my mains, then mains to my sub sounds like a better idea but then I will be using the natural roll-off of the speakers which may be hard to match with the sub's filter, correct?

Any thoughs on using the line level output of the preamp?

5. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    If you connect your speakers via the subwoofer output terminals the subwoofer merely acts as a passive crossover. The crossover point is selected with the "crossover" control knob.

If you connect the sub via the line level input from a pre-amp, then your subwoofer is probably being fed a full range signal. (from bass to highest treble)

The box feeding the line level signal to the sub may, or may not, have internal high or low pass roll-off filters of the signal being fed to the subwoofer. I am not familiar with the boxes you named so cannot comment on this. If it's a straight stereo pre-amp then it is unlikely to have filters and a line out signal will be full range.

Nimby

6. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Nimby, do you think the A23 ---> SVS --> mains route is better or the A23 ---> mains ----> SVS?

I'll probably try out all methods, but I want to have some sort of clue in advance :)

7. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    If you are talking stereo, I really wouldn't filter your main speakers. Feed them full range and leave the signal alone.

The chocie of whether to connect the mains to the sub terminals, or directly to the stereo amp terminals, is a personal one based on listening tests. And whether you like multiple speaker cables all over the place.

Connecting the sub via a low level "pre-out" would be a third option. Again the choice would have to be based on your own sound quality listening tests with various sub roll-off points tried to best match your speakers.

The speakers would then have to be connected to the stereo amplifier rather than the subwoofer input, or output, terminals. Since the SVS can't power your speakers. The sub's onboard amp is purely to drive the sub itself.

Nimby

8. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Thanks for all your help Nimby, I think I have a pretty good understanding of this now.

I'm a little surprised by your don't filter your mains comment though, as I though that was exactly what you did? However I'm only considering this and will try it to see how it sounds. As my mains go resonably low (-3db @ 38Hz I think) I don't really need to run the sub, that was one of the main reasons I moved to floor standers, to avoid the sub integration problem.

The whole point of adding the stereo pre/power amps is to improve stereo music (see my thread in the stereo forum). I was considering either a Meridian G68 processor or this route and I believe this way is not only cheaper, but will given me better sound. The improvement in movies the G68 would bring would be nice but it is not of great importance to me as I am already very happy with movie performance from my Pioneer.