1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting a PC with DVI to an AE500

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Mr_Sukebe, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    I'm hoping that some of you chaps already have experience of running a Panny AE500 via DVI from a PC.
    Assuming the PC has a DVI capable graphics card, plenty of RAM and is running Win XP, what are your thoughts on:
    - Drivers for the AE500? If my TFT monitor has a driver file for it, I assume that my projector will too. If so, does anyone have a link?
    - From previously reading on the subject, I got the impression that most people seemed to recommend using powerstrip to force a resolution of 1280*768. Is that right?
    - Just how do I deal with upsampling from DVD? Is it simply a case of telling my PC to run in 1280*768, and that's all I need to do?
    - Is there anything I need to do to enable progressive scan, or does the simple fact that you're running a DVI signal mean that you'll achieve it automatically?
    - I use a DVI cable between my PC and TFT monitor. Does the panny use the same type of cable? I get the impression that there's different types of DVI, e.g. I, D etc. Does that make any difference to my cable choice?
    - Are there any online downloads for software to help me optimise the setup of my AE500. I'm guessing that they exist, would seem to make some sense to use one.

Thanks in advance.

2. chrisgriffiths

chrisgriffiths

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I run a AE500 from a PC using DVI and its easy to set up.

In my case i use an ATI Radeon 9800 or a 9600 (depending on which PC) and in both cases its just a case of choosing 1280 x 720 (not 1280 x 768) in the display properties. Luckily for me the resolution was already there, if you are using a different type of graphics card you will need the powerstrip software, the resolution is already in powerstrip and just needs enabling for windows. Details are in this forum somewhere as i recall.

If your TFT supports 1280x720 then it easiest to set it up on the TFT then swop the DVI cable over to the Projector.

The signal will be automatically progressive scan.

Just tell you DVD software to run in full screen mode once you have a connection to your PJ and away you go.

If i remember right you need a DVI-D cable. I bought mine from www.keene.co.uk, a 5 metre version.

Cheers

Chris Griffiths

3. homeagain

homeagain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I don't believe there are specific drivers / monitor inf. files for the AE500.
    When using Powerstrip select the 1280x720 DVI derived custom resolution and reboot. These will automatically be added to the Windows selection of available resolutions and are progressive scan.
    Your graphics card will upsample the image to 1280x720 output. This is the simplest way to achieve your goals. Upsampling and oversampling can be achieved in software with Ffdshow for example but is more complicated.
    A DVI-D cable is required for the interconnect.
    There are some basic set up downloads from Nokia etc that have test patterns etc but the Avia or DVE setup DVDs are far better for self calibrating the AE500.
    Hope that helps.
    Cheers, Rob. :thumbsup:

4. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    Thanks for the replies.
    One question. The cable I already use between my PC and TFT, what kind of DVI is that?

5. anpool

anpool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a similar setup but using a Sanyo Z2 projector. The cable you use to your TFT is probably a Dual DVI cable which can send both analogue and digital signals. Also it is probably shorter than the one you need to use on your projector. The max length of a DVI cable is suposed to be 7.5 meters but I bought a digital only 10m cable fron Lindy (web site) - The image is perfect with no Jaggies (which I did get when I used a dual type 10m cable) - Im assuming this is because the digital only cable has thicker conductors (less wires needed) and better shielding. I use a Radion 9600 and run the projector as a second monitor in 720x1280 via the DVI output. I connect my TFT via the RGB output of the graphics card as monitor 1. If its any help I have spent lots of time messing about with Zoom player and FDDshow but I find the best DVD performance (and something even the kids can setup) is Power DVD with the CLEV filter engaged but toned down a few notches. If you get to this stage and want my settings for Power DVD please post a reply.

6. mooro1973

mooro1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    I couldn't get my panny into 1280x720 mode with dvi, but worked fine with vga cable.

7. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    I got my proj/PC working at 1024*768, but I think I was trying to use the wrong version of 1280*720 as I had no joy from that.

Interestingly, even at the non-native res of 1024, it still looked better than my DVD player, which bodes well.