Connecting a PC to TV Issues - TV detected but not displaying signal

neelio

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Apologies if this is in the wrong section!

I'm trying to connect my PC (Win7 Pro & nVidia 275GTX) to my new TV(Samsung 46 - 1080p). My old TV (Sony 32 - 720p & 1080i) used to work fine using DVI>VGA cable, but never DVI>HDMI. Although in the Windows Display control panel, both TVs claim that no signal is being received. My new TV doesn't have VGA ports and only HDMI so I'm a little stuck.

I've spent a long time scanning the internet and also found others with varying models of TVs and graphics cards with the same issue. As far as I can find, no one seems to have found a solution. I've tried:

• Two TVs
  • Different HDMI ports on the TVs
  • A new HDMI cable (1.4)
  • Windows Safe mode
  • Installing the latest graphics card drivers
  • Uninstalling the graphics card drivers and using W7 default
  • Changing the output resolution and refresh rate
  • Changing the output port on my graphics card
One thing to note is that my graphics card has two DVI outputs and came with a DVI>HDMI converter. This is the only thing that I haven't tried but struggle to believe it could be that because the TVs seem to be detecting in Windows.

Any advice is welcome as I'm sure there are some pros out here that can help!

Cheers

Neel

DVI supports both digital and analogue (VGA) signals.

It sounds like your card is only outputting analogue for some reason. What does it report?

Try the supplied adapter and see if it makes a difference. I do know some TVs will not accept Digital RGB signals from graphics cards at resolutions over 1280x720, handling only component at 1080p.

Thanks for your prompt reply.

How do I test wither it's outputting analyogue or digital?

I'm using the supplied adapter to get as far as I can, i.e. get my PC/graphics card to detect the TVs. One thing I just noticed is that if I print screen, I can see my extended desktop. I'm not sure if that's helpful though.

Cheers

What does the video card report?

Check you are changing the screen resolution of the extended desktop, not the internal screen.

TBH, this is not a fault I have come across - and I spend my life plugging computers into all sorts of displays!

I'm sorry I don't know exactly what you mean by what the video card is reporting. Indeed, I've always ensured that my TV is set to the correct resolution and refresh rate independent of my monitor.

I've ordered a new DVI>HDMI converter as well as a DVI>HDMI cable. If you or anyone else has any other suggestions, please feel to let me know.

Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom