• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Connecting a PC to TV in other room

Hendrycks

Novice Member
Hey, I've been looking all over to decide what to use to be able to connect my PC and use it on my LG CX in the other room. I'm getting an RTX 3080 as soon as I can get one so it has HDMI 2.1, as my TV does.

My apartment came with a literal hole in the wall next to where my PC is, that the previous owner made for internet connectivity. I've been looking at HDBaseT but it looks like even $300 CAD ones do 4K 60Hz max. It looks like there's no 4K 120Hz as of yet and I'm not sure if ethernet can handle 48gbps anyways?

I also just saw on this site listing the best HDMI cables with fiber ones, there is 1 4K 120Hz cable from RuiPro that I can find, but it's $300 atm and only 6 feet. Do you think it will become easier to do soon or should I just grab a RuiPro 4K60Hz cable for now for $200?

Any help is much appreciated!

Otto Pylot

HDBT over solid core, UTP CAT-6 (non-CCA/CCS and not pre-terminated ethernet) cable is one option but HDBT still compresses data. There are supposed to be newer HDBT chipsets (Valens VS3000) that can process uncompressed data but they have not been incorporated yet into the newer HDBT units yet, and it could be quite awhile yet before they are. Reliability with long distances over copper only wiring has proven to be more of a challenge for the active copper only cables than what was initially thought.

Ruipro hybrid fiber cables is what is recommended for runs over about 20'. How long is your run and is the hole in the wall straight thru or does it traverse inside the wall for a distance before exiting? Will the cable run along the floor to the source?

As far as HDMI 2.1 goes, just make sure that both your source and sink device offer the same HDMI 2.1 option sets. HDMI 2.1 is a set of recommended options, but they are not mandatory standards, so make sure the same options are offered with both devices. They probably are but it doesn't hurt to check so there's no surprises. To claim HDMI 2.1, the device mfr has to list which options are offered so it's relatively easy to check.

Ruipro offers two cables. The Ruipro 4k which is for the HDMI 2.0 option sets and the Ruipro 8k which is for the HDMI 2.1 option sets. If you can easily and safely install the cable (no wall plates, extenders, adapters, sharp 90 degree bends, etc) then you could try the 4k cable and see how it works and then upgrade later on to the 8k cable if you have source material that requires the 40-48Gbps bandwidth. Either cable is expensive but does work well with most setups.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
What is it you are playing out from the PC? It may make more sense to add a networked streamer to the TV?

HDMI 2.1 - means nothing unless you list which features a device supports/you require.

Joe

Hendrycks

Novice Member
Thanks for the replies. At the moment I have a GPU that supports HDMI 2.0 but I have a back-ordered RTX 3080 that supports HDMI 2.1. As soon as it comes I'd like to do [email protected] gaming on my LG CX 65" which has HDMI 2.1, it even just got a firmware update today that fixes the issues people were having with the new graphics card.

My PC is in another room with my monitors for work and since they're also high resolution and framerate, they need to use displayport which is nigh impossible to extend very far afaik so my only option is to extend the HDMI.

I could try the RuiPro 4K as my run is ~40-50 feet but that only solves extending the AV signal, not how to get a keyboard, mouse, or even just controller to work. I have Unified Remote that lets me use my phone over wi-fi as a mouse but that's not reasonable for any real gaming, only streaming which I already do with an Nvidia Shield TV 2019...it's a really tricky situation, I'm almost debating just making a 2nd computer but it'd be a lot more costly.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Pretty challenging extending the high frame rate HDMI or DisplayPort video and audio plus extending the Keyboard and Mouse (without introducing some lag) a dedicated PC may be your best option.

Joe

Conrad

I just did a similar thing to this. I have a dedicated cinema room next to my office and I used to have a PC in both. I consolidated the PCs into the office PC which is connected to a monitor in the office that I use for work and gaming. I also ran an HDMI cable from the GPU through the wall (I drilled straight through and put a brush plate on each side. The cable then comes through, goes up into the loft, across the room and back down behind the screen and into the Processor. Another HDMI cable goes back up into the loft, across the ceiling and down to the PJ.

With that I get audio and video in both rooms.

For the keyboard and mouse, USB over ethernet works surprisingly well. The PC has a connector which I then plug an ethernet cable into, run that through the same route as the HDMI cable and down behind the screen. The other end has a receiver which has a keyboard and mouse plugged in to it (well, a logitech unifying receiver) and my minidsp. I started with this:

Amazon product

That gave me a proof of concept and it worked well, but it drops out more than I liked, so I replaced it with this:

Amazon product

Much more expensive but seems to be much more stable so far.

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom