Connecting a PC to my Panasonic DVD recorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by John12, Aug 20, 2013.

1. John12

John12
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After some advice to work out whether this is technically possible and if so what connectors I would need.

I would like to connect my laptop to my DVD recorder so I can save the output to DVD (for example computer games). I have done this many years ago to a video recorder but am struggling to work out how to do it with my current equipment.

My DVD is a Panasonic DMR-EX83. The 2 main inputs are:

AV2 in - Scart
    AV3 in - Video (yellow) L /mono (white) Audio R (red)

The output from the laptop is a VGA port and a headphone socket.

Presumably using AV2 and a VGA to Scart connector (if that exists) would only result in picture and no audio, so I am guessing I need a VGA to yellow video then a headphone socket to red and white audio.

I have seen VGA to RCA connectors but they are red green and blue so I guess will not work.

Any advice gratefully received! Otherwise I'll be digging the video recorder out of the loft!

Thanks

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,018
    Welcome to the forum.

Computers and domestic recording equipment do not usually work together.

This is because computers do not routinely provide the correct video format that DVD recorders require ( PAL 50Hz)
    You would have to establish that your PC was capable of outputting 50Hz video to stand any chance. ( ...and they usually cannot).

3. wozz

wozz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I cannot see a dvd recorder, or a vcr either , being able to do this from a laptop , due to the fact that the laptop is not giving out a yellow rca video out and a white rca audio out either

there were graphics cards for a pc that could output using a yellow rca phono output and using a conversion lead to go from the line out audio to rca phono connectors. you could buy dedicated graphics cards with in and out in order to send or receive rca video and audio but these were usually pci graphics cards for a pc tower or full size desktop

it was possible to go the opposite direction with vcr to usb adapters like the easycap or dazzle to capture from vcr or camcorder direct to pc, but not the other way round

so I think we are left with the conundrum of a suitable "dongle" that can convert from video and audio on a laptop to standard rca phono video and audio (yellow and white - or yellow-white-red) and the method by which it would be achieved too.

It seems easier to me to use a video editing tool or tools on a laptop to convert to a suitable format and burn to dvd on the actual laptop itself