1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting a PC to LCD TV, use VGA or DVI cable?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by dancin, Jan 6, 2005.

1. dancin

dancin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,
    Just got a Mitsubishi MD27LCD tv. It has connectors for vga and DVI input from a PC. I'll be mounting it on the wall and burying the cable in the wall (channel and plaster over), so need to decide in advance which connection type I should use for a PC.

I've never user DVI for anything before and know little about it. AFAIK though it is a pure digital signal and so should provide a better signal/image than VGA?

Anyone any advice on this?

I have a 5 meter VGA cable so no problems installing that one. I'd have to get a 5 meter DVI cable, anyone suggest where I could get one online?

Komplett have a 5 Meter DVI cable, (http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=108968&cks=PRL), but the image of the connector looks different from the pin layout on my TV and PC DVI connectors. The Komplett cable is missing 4 pins, 2 above and 2 below the flat pin to the right of the connector. Is this the wrong type of DVI cable? Or are these pins not used?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

2. Frase

Frase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd do both (or even more!) If channeling plaster/walls etc, I'd provision for as many different connection cables as possible! If you are going to make a mess, do it in style! At some point in the future, you will say to yourself "if only i'd taken the xxx cable to the LCD as this new laptop i have only has a xxx graphics output........"
    I presume u r going to bury the power cable as well?

3. Sledge

Sledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bury some conduit that you can fit loads of cables down and bury that.

You'll pat yourself on the back every time you want to run some extra cable that you thought you'd never need.

4. dancin

dancin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Foolish me, of course it does make sense to embed both types of cable in the wall.

Any advice on the DVI cable from Komplett though, or where I may bet another?

5. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The best place to get a DVI cable, I've found is Lindy.co.uk.

DVI is much better than VGA.

6. dancin

dancin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. dancin

dancin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having searched around a bit, it seems that most places sell DVI-D cables (like Komplett), with a few doing single channel DVI-I (like Lindy).

It seems to me that to make the wiring as future proof as possible, I should get a Dual Channel DVI-I cable (haven't seen one yet).

But is the Analogue part of the DVI-I cable really needed? Or is is just a throw back to support older equipment?

Am leaning greatly towards a DVI-D dual channel cable. I guess this would do for a PC. But would it cut the mustard on something like an expensive DVD player with DVI out?

8. Ultim8Fury

Ultim8Fury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    having just got a denon 2910 ( ok not ultra expensive ) which has dvi. The connection is dvi-d only so I would guess that most other players will be the same. If you're already running a VGA cable then DVI-D (dual link) will be fine. worst case scenario is that a device you buy uses DVI-A output pins which means you'll just need a DVi-VGA convertor which comes with most graphics cards these days.