1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting a PC to AV amp for 5.1 sound?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by crobo, Aug 10, 2005.

1. crobo

crobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    My son has a fairly standard PC with PowerDVD and onboard soundcard that only does stereo sound. He wants to connect this to an av receiver that has a standard optical digital input. Could anyone recommend a simple, relatively low-cost sound card with the appropriate output? My problem is that typical Soundblaster cards have an S/PDIF output socket and I would imagine that these are not compatible with a full-size optical input on the amp. Are there soundcards that do have this output or are there adaptors that connect S/PDIF to optical cables?

Any info gratefully appreciated!

2. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
  3. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Any card with an optical digital output should do the trick. As you have touched on, the cheaper soundcards tend to have coaxial (electrical) digital outputs. There are convertors to change coaxial into optical (and vice-versa), but the overall cost needs to be considered. Try Lektropacks or Keene for the converter cables (amongst others).

4. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
  5. crobo

crobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Thanks a lot for that chaps. From what I can see the Terra cards have a 'normal' av-style optical out, but can anyone confirm this? (isn't there a mini-toslink version too or is the S/PDIF?).

These Terra cards look almost too cheap to be true if anything - has anyone tried one? My lad has a £400 amp/speaker combo and wants to do it justice.

6. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    hi crobo,

if you're just sending a digital signal to the amp then my advice would be to just get the cheapest card that works. I'd be very surprised if you could tell any difference between cards with a £400 combo (if at all) - others may disagree.

Give it a go and if you're not happy then try something more expensive, I'm sure it'll do a great job.