Connecting a PC to a Sony Bravia

J

jay_edinburgh

Hi,

I am having problems trying to use my Sony Bravia V40 with my PC.

I am using a DVI-D to HDMI cable to connect them together but when I power up my PC all I have a blank screen.

I have a ATI Radeon 9800 PRO graphics card in my computer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

dcm

Standard Member
does it work with vga?

it's rob a resolution problem, hdmi may only work at a lower resolution..

J

jay_edinburgh

Thanks for your reply, but the model of TV I have which is the V40 does not have a VGA connection on it.

I tried the resolution at 1280x720 as I have read that is the best resolution for this TV.

I will try some lower resolution and see if that works.

D

DaveP

Is the TV the only monitor connected? Do you see the bios and and XP initial boot screen?

RenaultSport

IFyou have previously been outputting graphics card to a pc tft/crt via the VGA port on the back you may need to go in to the ATI control panel and force it to re dectect the screen.

J

jay_edinburgh

DaveP said:
Is the TV the only monitor connected? Do you see the bios and and XP initial boot screen?
The TV is the only monitor connected and I dont see the bios or the XP boot up screen, all I see is a blank screen nothing else.

Any idea's appreciated :)

J

jay_edinburgh

huwwatkins said:
IFyou have previously been outputting graphics card to a pc tft/crt via the VGA port on the back you may need to go in to the ATI control panel and force it to re detect the screen.
Thanks for your reply, I see the detect display function in my ATI control panel but how can I force it to re detect the screen when I cant view anything on my TV? if I was to do it with my monitor plugged in would it not just re detect the monitor?

matJ

Standard Member
I have the same graphics card as you. Have you installed the latest ATI Catalyst Control Centre?
Plug both screens in at once, your monitor via VGA and your TV via DVI. So your monitor will work and then use CCC to detect the 2nd display, or right click on the second monitor icon in display manager and select enable (Make sure your TV is on), basically just play around with the buttons!
You mentioned earlier that you set the resolution to 1280x720, how have you set this if the display is not detected yet?
I dont yet have my LCD connected up to my PC so this is just guesswork.

J

jay_edinburgh

Thanks for your reply Matj, I set the resolution to 1280x720 on my PC before I disconnect it to try on the TV, I thought it might of made a difference being a lower resolution to what I display on my PC monitor.

What you have recommended to do sounds like a good idea so I will give it a shot.

Thanks again for your advice :thumbsup:

One more thing Matj, I noticed in my CCC that the display options tab has a option in Display Management Options that lets you force TV detection, do you think this could also help??

J

jay_edinburgh

I got it working by changing the resolution to 800x600 and also turning on the force TV detection button in my ATI CCC.

Thanks for the help.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom