Connecting a Panasonic DMR-EX77 DVD Recorder to Smart TV

lordminty

I returned a loft stored Panasonic DMR-EX77 DVD recorder to service, after a small cheap player from Curry’s (Logik) had failed. Old Panny works brilliantly as a player. I hadn’t expected it to be compatible, being 2003 vintage!

It’s connected to my Samsung UE48J6300AK Smart TV, via it's single HDMI port. Of course it also 2 Scarts as well, where of course the TV has none. Is there anyway I can link it up to the Samsung to record?

I have 4 HDMI’s on the Samsung, 3 are in use (Sound bar, DVD player, and the feed in from the Sky ‘Q’ box). Can I use a ‘conversion lead’ from Scart on the Panny to the free HDMI on the Samsung to facilitate a recording loop? If so which is the correct Scart port to connect up from into the `TV. Sorry if this sounds a bit tame. I'm very old and a bit apprehensive of modern technology - many thanks for any advice.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
You cannot use your DVDR to record from your TV no matter how you connect it.
It will record from an aerial.
Modern TV's without a scart socket do not output video from HDMI or any other connector.

Last edited:

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
...but it should (I think) be able to record broadcast TV from an Aerial.

lordminty

Thank you for your help, both. As the signal from the aerial / dish goes to the Sky Q Box is there any way to connect the DVD recorder up to that?

JayCee

Distinguished Member
I suspect you’re getting confused between an aerial and a dish.
The only connection going into your Sky Q box is from your satellite dish.
If you have a terrestrial aerial (on roof or in loft) you would plug that into your DVDR and record from Freeview.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
No. Generally, they also record directly from an aerial.

lordminty

Oh well that's the end of that then, I only have the Sky dish. Good job I didn't fall for this ebay listing. https://***********/y5x29v9g. The seller informed me that this device records and plays with only a single HDMI connection between the TV and the recorder!

JayCee

Distinguished Member
That device still needs a terrestrial aerial to be able to record.
It cannot record from your TV or Sky Q box.

volvofan

As you have Sky Q theres no relatively simple way to record its output.Despite what the Samsung recorder seller says it wont do anything other than record FreeviewHD,using its own tuner connected with a single HDMI lead,or by any other way.Dont think any other recorder will either.

lordminty

Thanks both,

Changing times I guess, I was surprised how few DVD recorders seem to be 'in manufacture' presently too.

Much appreciate your comments and help

Thank you all again most sincerely

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom