1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting a PAL Xbox up to an LCD monitor

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by fatnick, Jan 17, 2005.

1. fatnick

fatnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to bother you all, but i was wondering whether anyone can give me any advice regarding the viability of connecting an un-modded PAL Xbox to a TFT monitor. Firstly, is this actually a worthwhile activity with the HD support out of the question? will the default interlaced Xbox output seem of higher quality when displayed on a monitor, or will it just make jaggies more noticeable? Secondly, a quick question about technology. I've already checked the monitor's up to the task (it has 300cd/m2 brightness, a contrast ratio of 500:1 and a 16ms response time), but i'm a litle confused about the Vga boxes. Although there appear to be plenty available, all of them appear to have their fair share of "OMG!!!!! WORST BOX EVOR!!!!" customer reviews. Is there any bos which is particuarly useful (and cheap!) for a PAL gamer?

Thanks for your time and help. I'm a total n00b at this.

2. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +723
    I think you will need something like this x2vga which by all accounts is the vga box to get.

If progressive scan is available to you then i would certainly recommend going to whatever ever lengths needed to convert your xbox to output the signal, whether it be via a mod-chip or soft mod of the xbox, do a search of this forum for lots of info on the subject.

3. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    x2vga+ will only work on an NTSC box - so would require the PAL box to be modded and switched to NTSC.

4. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,095
  5. fatnick

fatnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks very much! i'm still a little worried by the negative reviews, but i'll give it a go.

6. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,095
    The negative views are probably people using composite, it is crap using composite, S-video is tonnes better on this device.

7. fatnick

fatnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks alot! the box arrived the other day and i must say that i'm pretty pleased with it! much better than the tv at any rate. Now if only Microsoft handn't disabled high definition support.

Thanks again.

8. Obuggrit

Obuggrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there not a VGA box available that will allow you to use an XBOX Scart lead or a digital video connection? S-Video quality on a montor is wasting it's potential.

9. skyblu

skyblu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can use VGA box although the quality is poor.

I just bought an awsome monitor CTX M730V.

It has RGB (Red,Green,Blue) , S - Video, Component (Red, Blue, Green) INPUT!!!

i connect my GC to it through the component cable.

i bought TFT for £300 reduced from £450 at www.simply.co.uk