1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting a PAL Xbox through component what....?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Pugger, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Pugger

Pugger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    When watching DVDs on my unmodified PAL XBOX on a PD30 through component, what picture mode am I actually viewing. its set to progressive and whan I push the + button on the remote it tells me its a progressive source. So is it interlaced progressive I'm watching or it something else. I'm slightly confused as I have seen posts which highlight some problems watching PAL PS on this TV (white streak on the RHS of the screen) and I was wondering should this problem show up on the PAL xbox when played through component if it is a problem on my set, or is only non interlaced PS images that cause the streak. I ask as I have a Denon 2200 on its way and I'd rather hoped I wouldn't need to botch in the service menu, when play PAL DVD through Component.

Cheers in advance

2. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    An unmodified PAL Xbox does not output progressive scan, both for games and for dvds. The only way to get progressive out of a PAL Xbox is to use an external deinterlacer or chip the console and change the region to either of the NTSC regions.

It is possible that you are reading the on screen display incorrectly, and from your use of the + button to activate it I'm guessing that you have a Panny TV? I have a PD30 and when watching an Interlaced source via Component the on screen display says "Progressive" - meaning the video processing mode selected (its locked to Progressive for the component inputs), when I watch a Progressive Input, it says "Progressive Input".

Can you double check what your on screen display says?

Some people have seen the white streak on PAL interlaced sources, see the "PD30 Throughbred or Mule" thread.

3. Pugger

Pugger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers for the response Brian. Yeah I have a 32 inch PD30 and have both a US and PAL Xbox. I have been playing games using component with the menu setting of the US Xbox set to 480p.

When I used the component leads to watch a DVD on my PAL Xbox I noticed it said 'progressive' it didn't say input. So what type of picture is the PAL Xbox outputting is it a progressive interlaced image or something else? Playing the PAL Xbox through component I have seen no problems such as streaks the image looks fine (actually it looks better than play movies through my Pani DMRE60 DVD recorder using RGB).
    I do have that combing effect but that’s on all scan modes and whilst watch NTL digi. As long as you sit more than metre or two away from the TV they're not noticeable anyhow. It would be nice to know what they are, as messing with the geometry settings does not get rid of them, but to be honest they are just a slight irritation on what is otherwise a great TV.

Cheers for your response and if you know what type of picture I'm watching from the Xbox it would be appreciated

4. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    You are getting an interlaced picture from your UK xbox.

The picture from any source is either interlaced or progressive (deinterlaced), it can't be both.

As I said, some people have had the problem with both PAL interlaced and progressive sources, I don't have the problem with my set so I can't really coment on it.

5. Pugger

Pugger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Right, got you, so the DVD palyer is playing an interlaced picture the same as playing through RGB scart. But do you know why the picturte quality looks better when watching DVD and playing games on the PAL machine running it through component compared to RGB?

Cheers

6. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I think its due to the PD30's processing units not being able to handle the full bandwidth of RGB, and as YUV component is slightly less bandwidth and so the chipset can handle it better. I've found that only using the progressive video mode (rather than the 100Hz video modes) on the scart inputs improves the picture.

Also I think the PD30 is optimised for the component inputs as well.