1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting a Ntegear MP101 - help!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by witters, Aug 31, 2004.

1. witters

witters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    I have a home PC with an ethernet card which is connected to Blueyonder. Would I need anything else at the PC end to be able to install the Netgear in my loung with my hi-fi please? I understand it's a wireless unit but am not sure how it works :blush:

2. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hi Witters,
    Three options for you I can think of:-

The MP101 connects using either a wireless 802.11b network or wired Ethernet RJ-45 connector.

a) You'd need to pull CAT5 Ethernet cable to the MP101 and use an ethernet network switch, hub or router (in ascending order of cost), assuming you currently go straight from your ethernet card to your broadband modem with nothing but a wire in between.

Hubs handle better peak loads than switches and router can include a hardware firewall for you internet connection, which I like a lot.

b) To use the MP101 wireless feature, you'll need an 802.11b (or better) AccessPoint which can also be bought separately from the pre-requisite router or found in "wireless routers".

c) I think you could avoid the need to change any of your Ethernet connection by buying a USB 802.11b adapter at about £30 or less. I think this would allow the MP101 to talk to your pc, but won't do any fancy routing, say if you added a wireless laptop or pda.

I'm sure Windows XP would handle the two network adapters at once and do the required routing behind the scenes, I'm optimistic for Windows2000 and unsure about windowsME/98/95 handling it.

The MP101 comes with some server sofware that has to be run in the background in Windows for the MP101 to play tunes.

This is however a new industry standard UPNP MediaServer, so there may be hardware jukebox servers for the MP101 in future as reasonable cost from other vendors.

regards,
    Rob.