1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting a New Raven Quab LNB to original Sky dish and Grundig Skybox

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Red Fan X5, Jun 25, 2005.

1. Red Fan X5

Red Fan X5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Connecting a New Raven Quab LNB to original Sky dish
    I recently brought a Raven Quad LNB on E-Bay with no instructions. I want to use this with an extra Sky box and FTA card I have. I tried to replace the original single LNB with the Raven one. The Sky box said "No Signal Received" with the Raven LNB connected and with 2 cables attached. :mad: However, the Grundig single LNB works prefectly after trying the Raven LNB. I have the proper cable and F-connectors attached. I checked the setting with the secret menu on the Sky box and reset to default settings. Everything checks out. :confused:

Has anyone any experience installing these Raven LNB and can anyone assist me with the above ?

P.S. What do the numbers 1 to 5 (dial ?) on the front side of the LNB do exactly ? :confused:

Any help would be appreciated !

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The numbers on the dial adjust the "skew". LNB's have "vertical" and "horizontal" polaristation settings, which are switched electronically. The LNB needs to be mounted so the LNB is vertical when it is switched to vertical, and horizontal when switched to horizontal. This is relative to the satellite, not the ground. The "skew" adjustment helps to achieve this.

3. crbeck

crbeck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I also have a raven quad LNB which I received today from a seller on ebay. I have exactly the same problem as Red Fan where my pace sky receiver states "no satellite signal received" with the quad LNB attached, and no problem with my original skyware single LNB. I get a "not locked" on the lock indicator in the signal strength screen with the quad LNB, and about two-thirds strength & quality with the single LNB.

I have tried adjusting the alignment of the dish but it made no difference.

Did you find the answer to your problem Red Fan? If so please could you let me know!!!

Many thanks

Charles

PS Sorry if I have done this wrong, it's the first time I have posted on here.

4. crbeck

crbeck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone

Sorry but I've actually sorted out my problem now. After saying it was not an alignment issue, it was exactly that! I read numbers of pages on the internet which said that you should be able to simply swap the LNBs over and the raven quad LNB will at least get some signal, with a small amount of adjustment expected to get the best strength & quality. In my experience, the dish had to be completely realigned! It now works perfectly, no problems.

Thanks anyway

Charles

5. jedimaster1971

jedimaster1971
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the main reason is the Quad LNBs are a lot heavier than standard items and they pull down slightly on the arm of the dish thus moving it out of alignement, also chack that the clip that holds the LNb in is correctly fitted as if its upside down the LNB will not fit correctly to the dish

hope this helps in retrospect

jedi

6. robert_roast

robert_roast

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

Finally found this thread after much pulling out of hair.
    I've got exactly the same problem with a Raven LNB I'm trying to use on Sky+.
    Existing LNB works fine, but absolutely no signal with the new LNB.
    Even tried another quad LNB just incase the first one was faulty.

I also had been lead to believe that I should see at least SOME signal without realignment, but it sounds like this is not the case after all. Sigh.
    Now to see of I can align the dish myself or have to pay for an installer.

Please let me know if anyone has had the same problem but it didn't infact need any alignment.

Thanks,
    Rob

7. robert_roast

robert_roast

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just for the record, I resolved this with a very small vertical alignment change, which I managed myself.
    Perhaps just the extra weight of the new quad LNB, as Jedi suggested.

So the moral of the story:
    When everyone says that you can just swap over LNB's and Bob's your uncle: Don't believe it!

Very glad I found this thread. Thanks!

Rob

8. Billy C

Billy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Theres two types of sleeves available for the quads. If you can try NOT to use the sleeve supplied cos I remember that the one supplied with a particulur quad is incorrect. Most probably the raven's
    If you can use the original sleeves thats already on the dish arm if poss.