connecting a LCD TV to PC using HDMI rather than VGA

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by preed, Feb 11, 2009.

Tags:
  1. preed

preed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently purchased a media PC with an HDMI motherboard.
    The intention is to buy an LCD TV which will also serves as a monitor for the PC.

All TVs have HDMI in, however in the reviews/specs not all of them have HDMI and/or VGA "PC in"

I have tried a 2007 panasonic TX26LX70F (PC in = VGA)
    Even though the connection works, the "desktop" image and text is not perfect, and doesnt fit exactly.

I therefore suppose that I do have to pay attention to the "PC in" specification - it has to mention HDMI and VGA

Most Panasonics (my 1st choice) seems only to mention VGA. Samsungs, Philips and others mention HDMI and VGA.

Can anyone please advise / comment on their experiences.
    bearing in mind this additional (PC) use, is an LCD a good choice?

Thanks.

2. ash08

ash08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I use a 52" Samsung F96 for a PC/HTPC monitor in my front room. I connect via HDMI (with DVI dongle from graphics card) and it is fantastic with an extremely sharp picture.

Using VGA 'may' cause issues as certain resolutions/framerates may not be accepted via VGA (check the panel if your not sure). You could not select 1080p/24Htz for example for watching Blu-ray and other HD material...

I'm sure that my Samsung has a HDMI socket dedicated for PC use as the signal for PC and (For example) a stand alone Blu-Ray player is apparently different (I know nothing about this...).

It helps that my graphics card is easily customisable with regard to resolution/Htz settings, I use a ATI 3650.

In short the PC picture is absolutely fantastic on my set (after a bit of tinkering).

Good luck :thumbsup: