Connecting a hard drive to samsung tv

Davey54

Novice Member
Hi I am trying to connect a 2.5 hard drive to my Samsung series 6 TV when I plug it in to usb it flashes and you can feel disc is spinning but TV does not seem reconize it when I unplug it it says fli unplugged what am I doing wrong .
I am trying to record programs .also it does not appear in the source bar where I thought I would find it I am not up on tect so any help welcome thanks phil

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Welcome.
With a query like this always include your TV's full model number?

Davey54

Novice Member
Hi not I got this write I think it is something like type ue4 g 400uxxu
Model ue4 g mua400uxxu that does not make any sense to me but it may to you guys it is series 6 50 inch hope help let me know if not it's hard to get numbers as it is fixed to the wall cheers phil

JayCee

Distinguished Member
No, sorry, you've got a few typos in there and I can't make head or tail of it.
Sometimes there's a sticker on one of the sides with the model no printed on it.
You should also find it listed in the menu of the TV.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Hi I am trying to connect a 2.5 hard drive to my Samsung series 6 TV when I plug it in to usb it flashes and you can feel disc is spinning but TV does not seem reconize it when I unplug it it says fli unplugged what am I doing wrong .
I am trying to record programs .also it does not appear in the source bar where I thought I would find it I am not up on tect so any help welcome thanks phil

Does the drive work if you plug it into a laptop/PC. ? The TV may not provide enough current.

Is the drive described as a usb portable drive ?

Link to where you bought it from would help.

Davey54

Novice Member
Bought it from ebay it is 2.5 hdd USB 500gb it states driverless high speed plug and play ,tv is Samsung 5o inch about 5 years old the number is on the back I have tryed to get the number but it is hard to see I am Shaw of the number apart from 2 digit ue _mu_400uxxu the ones under lined but that was with a mirror

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Bought it from ebay it is 2.5 hdd USB 500gb
Which tells us nothing.
To detect the format you need to plug it into a computer for it to tell you.
It's going to be

FAT32
NTFS
exFAT

or something else. If you can't find that out then I can't help. You'll need a coimputer to change it as well if it's the wrong format, I don't know what the right format is as you don't know what kind of TV you have.

The fact is TV's make poor media devices, they're restricted in what formats for audio and video they'll playback. You would be far better getting some kind of media streaming device.

Either that or look at the Samsung website or your TV manual to see what video and audio formats it plays and what type of HDD it will recognise.

Davey54

Novice Member
OK model of TV ue49mu6400 serial no. Odox3hgk200761r hard drive 2.5 data serial ata USB 3.0 superspeed it is form matted fats hope this helps

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX 4K OLED TV Review: The best TV of 2020?
Top Bottom