Connecting a Graphic EQ to Amp/Receiver without TAPE 2 Loop

IntelliVolume

Is it possible to connect a graphic equalizer to a stereo amp (or, in my case, an Onkyo TX-8555 stereo receiver) that doesn't have a TAPE 2 loop?

My receiver only has a TAPE IN/OUT, which I connect to my Tascam CD recorder's analog ins and outs, but is there a way to connect an EQ without the typical TAPE 2 jacks? Some have said to use an EQ that has an onboard TAPE LOOP, and that would run in place of where the CD recorder is now...but I'm not sure if that would work.

Here's my unit:

And here's the back:

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
The Answer is - probably not. Also, for most people, an Equalizer simply becomes an extension of the Volume Control, it doesn't server to Equalize the Room as it should, but rather simply becomes a selective way of boosting the bass.

Really, the Equalizer needs to be between the Pre-Amp and the Power Amp which is not possible with a very few and rare exceptions.

Sorry.

Steve/bluewizard

IntelliVolume

The Answer is - probably not. Also, for most people, an Equalizer simply becomes an extension of the Volume Control, it doesn't server to Equalize the Room as it should, but rather simply becomes a selective way of boosting the bass.

Really, the Equalizer needs to be between the Pre-Amp and the Power Amp which is not possible with a very few and rare exceptions.

Sorry.

Steve/bluewizard

Thanks Steve.

I'm very familiar with the workings of EQs, having used them throughout the years in various systems. Before my ears became "matured," I was one of those lads who actually preferred the much bemoaned "Smiley Face" EQ curve -- and I actually still like it to overcome ambient noise in a car stereo environment -- but I actually find myself missing that "goosed up" sound a bit, especially when playing vinyl on my system, hence why I wanted to add an equalizer (my Onkyo, unfortunately, doesn't have a loudness feature to engage in substitute).

Speaking of loudness -- do you know if there is a way to "imitate" the loudness contour curve using the bass and treble adjustment knobs? In other words, is there a certain value I can turn these up -- to, say, one o'clock, two o'clock -- so the tone controls kind of "mimic" the effect of turning on a loudness feature?

With regard to the EQ hookup -- are you sure there's no way to connect one to this receiver? I was told in the past (but never pursued it) that if I use an EQ with its own TAPE LOOP connectors, it may be possible to get it in the loop of my Onkyo's TAPE 1 hookups...

This isn't possible?

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
Did you go over all this on the Hoffman forums 5 years ago by any chance? If not then look up the identical thread on there. It seems from that thread that no one ever established for sure if the amp has any kind of tape monitor feature.

IntelliVolume

Bruce B

Novice Member
Probably too late to be of any help, but I had the same problem with my Onkyo receiver. For better or worse, I seem to have gotten pretty good results by connecting my EQ between the external audio source (my PC audio output for example) and the audio input of the receiver. This obviously will only work with external audio sources, but not for the tuner in the receiver.

IntelliVolume

Probably too late to be of any help, but I had the same problem with my Onkyo receiver. For better or worse, I seem to have gotten pretty good results by connecting my EQ between the external audio source (my PC audio output for example) and the audio input of the receiver. This obviously will only work with external audio sources, but not for the tuner in the receiver.
Never too late to help, Bruce -- thank you.

I have considered doing what you suggest -- running the EQ in line between one source and the equalizer, which would work...but I want every source connected to the receiver to be equalized, so this doesn't solve my issue.

But thank you for the suggestion, at any rate; if there's anything else you can think of, please let me know.

IntelliVolume

It has been suggested to me that perhaps I could use an EQ's MONITOR connections to run the receiver through, which would be like a substitute, of sorts, for the receiver not having TAPE MONITOR connections, but I'm uncertain if this would work...

Are most of you hi-fi purists/enthusiasts here simply running systems without any graphic equalization...at least from an external old-fashioned EQ?

Bruce B

Novice Member
Never too late to help, Bruce -- thank you.

I have considered doing what you suggest -- running the EQ in line between one source and the equalizer, which would work...but I want every source connected to the receiver to be equalized, so this doesn't solve my issue.

But thank you for the suggestion, at any rate; if there's anything else you can think of, please let me know.
My only other suggestion would be to get a multiple input (depending on how many sources you have) a-b type switch. That way you could select which source you want to listen to at any given time. I did this, but again, it will only work with external audio sources.
Probably not much help, but....

IntelliVolume

My only other suggestion would be to get a multiple input (depending on how many sources you have) a-b type switch. That way you could select which source you want to listen to at any given time. I did this, but again, it will only work with external audio sources.
Probably not much help, but....
So that wouldn't equalize the internal tuner, right?

Bruce B

Novice Member
Correct. That is the downside with this arrangement, unless of course by chance, your receiver has preamp out and then that could be looped through EQ via the multi-input A/B type switch.

IntelliVolume

Correct. That is the downside with this arrangement, unless of course by chance, your receiver has preamp out and then that could be looped through EQ via the multi-input A/B type switch.
I believe my receiver does have a preamp out; please see the image of the rear panel I provided earlier in the thread...

Bruce B

Novice Member
As a matter of fact, I just got done looking at it. It does indeed have preamp in and out jacks. Unless I am really mistaken, this is identical to the older style jacks labeled "Tape In/Out". The reason why the older ones were labeled as such, was because it was not the original intentions of the manufacturers to have an EQ in that loop. It was made for monitoring tape recordings with a tape recorder connected to those jacks. How I would proceed would be first to connect the preamp out to the EQ input, and the EQ output to the preamp input. Now you have it in the loop. Make sure that the switch on the EQ is not on "bypass" (or something similar), because that will simply pass the original through unequalized.
Now that the EQ is in the loop (i.e between the preamp and the amplifier), you should be able to have your receiver's tuner be processed through the EQ as well.
Most EQs have a number of "aux"iliary or secondary signal source inputs along with the EQ's main in/out. You could probably configure your other sources and devices that way, unless I am totally misunderstanding you. Just be careful that you connect the EQ to the receiver using the correct input output jacks of the EQ, not using the alternative input jacks, if any exist.
I fussed with mine for hours a few years ago until I got it right.
It was very frustrating until I got it right.

IntelliVolume

As a matter of fact, I just got done looking at it. It does indeed have preamp in and out jacks. Unless I am really mistaken, this is identical to the older style jacks labeled "Tape In/Out". The reason why the older ones were labeled as such, was because it was not the original intentions of the manufacturers to have an EQ in that loop. It was made for monitoring tape recordings with a tape recorder connected to those jacks. How I would proceed would be first to connect the preamp out to the EQ input, and the EQ output to the preamp input. Now you have it in the loop. Make sure that the switch on the EQ is not on "bypass" (or something similar), because that will simply pass the original through unequalized.
Now that the EQ is in the loop (i.e between the preamp and the amplifier), you should be able to have your receiver's tuner be processed through the EQ as well.
Most EQs have a number of "aux"iliary or secondary signal source inputs along with the EQ's main in/out. You could probably configure your other sources and devices that way, unless I am totally misunderstanding you. Just be careful that you connect the EQ to the receiver using the correct input output jacks of the EQ, not using the alternative input jacks, if any exist.
I fussed with mine for hours a few years ago until I got it right.
It was very frustrating until I got it right.
Thank you, Bruce; I know the unit has preamp OUTS to feed an external power amp, but where did you see the preamp IN jacks?

Bruce B

Novice Member
Sorry, my mistake. It does have the tape in/tape out though, as you stated.
Again, what I would probably do, is start by putting EQ into the tape in tape out jacks, and then find a way to use the aux inputs of the EQ (if there are any) for your other applications.
Other than that, I really don't know what to suggest.
Sorry I could not be more help.

IntelliVolume

Sorry, my mistake. It does have the tape in/tape out though, as you stated.
Again, what I would probably do, is start by putting EQ into the tape in tape out jacks, and then find a way to use the aux inputs of the EQ (if there are any) for your other applications.
Other than that, I really don't know what to suggest.
Sorry I could not be more help.
No, you've been of great help -- I appreciate it.

The TAPE IN/OUT jacks on this unit, though, aren't associated with a "tape loop," which is why I don't think they would work. I use these right now to connect a Tascam CD recorder through the receiver, but I don't believe this in/out configuration could accommodate an EQ because there's no "monitor" function connected/associated with it...

Do you see what I mean?

Bruce B

Novice Member
Again, if I am understanding things correctly, there doesn't necessarily have to be a "monitor" switch on the receiver. The unit might be wired to sense whether or not something is installed in the preamp in/ out loop. The EQ unit itself (at least the ones I have had, and currently have) have the "monitor in/out" on the EQ, along with another switch to bypass/defeat (pass thru) the signal.
Again, not sure this helps, but FIRST connecting the EQ to the receiver is the place to start.

IntelliVolume

Again, if I am understanding things correctly, there doesn't necessarily have to be a "monitor" switch on the receiver.

From everything I've been told, and from my memory using these things in the past, it's the monitor switch that allows the EQ to get "in between" the signals, so to speak, of what's connected to the amp/receiver; I've been routinely advised that it's this "monitor" button that is what's needed to make all this happen.

The unit might be wired to sense whether or not something is installed in the preamp in/ out loop.

Not trying to be difficult or argumentative -- at all, please believe me -- but what do you mean by "preamp in/out loop" when we determined there was only a preamp IN? Just trying to follow where you're coming from because we may have stumbled on a solution here...:)

The EQ unit itself (at least the ones I have had, and currently have) have the "monitor in/out" on the EQ, along with another switch to bypass/defeat (pass thru) the signal.

Yes -- if you go back a couple of posts, you'll see where this is what I was alluding to. I was once advised that what I'm trying to achieve could be done by feeding the receiver's TAPE IN/OUTs through the EQ's MONITOR IN/OUTs, and then feeding my CD recorder somewhere else in the chain (somewhere in the EQ; don't remember at the moment what was recommended).

I think this is what you are saying...

However, that suggestion was also knocked down by some others who claimed this won't work either; I'm not sure at this point what will or won't work, but I guess I have to get my hands on a cheap used EQ to test this.

Again, not sure this helps, but FIRST connecting the EQ to the receiver is the place to start.
You mean to the regular set of TAPE IN/OUTs?

Bruce B

Novice Member
Yes, to the regular ones is correct.
Good luck in your search for a used EQ, and for getting your system configured to your requirements.
I'd be interested to see how this plays out if you do get one.

IntelliVolume

Thanks; I actually hunted down some old Onkyos, which would go nice with my receiver, but I'll let you know if I decide to get one.

In the meantime, please share anything else you may think of; I appreciate it!

Bruce B

Novice Member
If I think of anything else that might be useful, I certainly will let you know.
Happy equalizing!

IntelliVolume

Thanks, LOL!

1609889645845.png

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

iFi Audio launches NEO Stream music streamer with DAC
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M6x 250.7 multi-channel power amplifier
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Is Google set to rival Dolby Vision and Atmos?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
'Tizen TV by Samsung' brands coming to UK?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Denon announces five new 8K AV receivers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom