1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

connecting a gamecube to projector

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by richard plumb, Feb 14, 2003.

1. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    US gamecube, so there is the temptation of progressive scan. But I have no component switch box, and my DVD player is using the component inputs for now.

I also have a ProV being fed s-video by the GC. This looks really nice, but a little soft - not nearly as good as the improvement from TV through it.

So as I see it, my options are:

Component cable and component switch box - I'd prefer to avoid as my AV area is already switch box armageddon.

VGA cable - there was a modified cable here that output VGA. That could go into the ProV bypass, so would be the simplest option, but I'm made sceptical by the 'Lik Sang' type VGA boxes for the likes of PS2 which aren't legit VGA. So is this a real VGA cable, and how do I get hold of one (I'm crap at soldering etc)

BTW, any suggestions for PS2 would also be well received, but as this has less progressive options currently I'm less inclined to fiddle with it.

2. olaiho

olaiho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, there is a real VGA cable available for the USA GameCube. As I recall, forum user Groundy makes them. Picture quality is awesome, as can be expected from a true VGA signal!

There is a problem however: when the GC is outputting a non-progressive signal, your projector may not be able to sync with it. Component does not have this problem.

I haven't got any 480p PS2 games yet even though I have a component cable, so I can't comment on that. What's the PS2 picture quality like when hooked up to the Pro-V?

BR,
    Olaiho

3. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    PS-2 has a VGA cable with the PS-2 LINUX software but I'm not sure if this works with games, I doubt it. The other solutions are all very poor esp the redant box.

GC has VGA and you should order a cable from groundy, I got one from him and its very good quality if a little expensive. :D NOTE: This only works with progressive scan games on NTSC cubes.

I'd recomend looking at a component switch box, I've got the AudioAthority one and its fantastic.

Regards
    Neil.

4. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    OK, I'll look again at the switching options. Its really a pigs arse in there at the moment - there has to be a simpler way to do things.

It gets tricky when you want to direct inputs to two different outputs.