Connecting a Flat Screen Digital TV to HI-Fi

JRKILLOCH

Standard Member
I have a Marantz tuner/amp that has digital inputs. I have a Phillips TV with SPDIF outlet on the side, a female connection that takes a small bayonet plug on an optical cable.

Not being technical but thought to be not too stupid I arranged the old TV with analogue connectors to be connected to the Marantz and a speaker specially adjusted so my 'hard of hearing' wife could here TV sound properly from a speaker perched on her shoulder. Worked a treat.

I want to replicate that but have to do it digitaly/Optically.

I have a 10 metre Optical cable but it has similar connectors at both ends. I need a converter for the TV end so I can connect to the TV. The other end is right for the Hi-Fi.

Either I have been told wrong, or people just cannot understand what I want!

I have been provided with 2 different converters. Not what I want, they fit over the cable plug but all they do is replicate the hi-fi end of the cable slightly adjusting the size of the male connector and also, in any case ,not long enough and too small a diameter plug.

Sorry about the lengthy description. I tried to anticipate questions.

What do I need? What do I call it so I can be understood? Where would I get it?

Help please......

garyt

Standard Member
Are you sure the connectors on both amp & TV are optical? If they are, there shouldn't be any problem connecting, as both bits of gear will have female sockets to mate with the male lead. The only other consideration is the size of socket as you have mentioned - some gear has a combined socket which has two types of connections able to be used. An old minidisc recorder I used to own had a combined line level mini jack/optical socket - the optical cable had to have an adaptor fitted to work.
If both items don't have optical digital sockets, you will probably need a coax to digital convertor. These can be picked up in Maplins for about £13. They convert a digital optical input to a digital coax output, or vice versa (2 different types are available). I use one of these to convert the optical output of my TV to connect to the coax input of my amp.
I hope this helps.
Gary

I have a Marantz tuner/amp that has digital inputs. I have a Phillips TV with SPDIF outlet on the side, a female connection that takes a small bayonet plug on an optical cable.

Not being technical but thought to be not too stupid I arranged the old TV with analogue connectors to be connected to the Marantz and a speaker specially adjusted so my 'hard of hearing' wife could here TV sound properly from a speaker perched on her shoulder. Worked a treat.

I want to replicate that but have to do it digitaly/Optically.

I have a 10 metre Optical cable but it has similar connectors at both ends. I need a converter for the TV end so I can connect to the TV. The other end is right for the Hi-Fi.

Either I have been told wrong, or people just cannot understand what I want!

I have been provided with 2 different converters. Not what I want, they fit over the cable plug but all they do is replicate the hi-fi end of the cable slightly adjusting the size of the male connector and also, in any case ,not long enough and too small a diameter plug.

Sorry about the lengthy description. I tried to anticipate questions.

What do I need? What do I call it so I can be understood? Where would I get it?

Help please......

JRKILLOCH

Standard Member
SPDIF female socket on TV - small phono type but smaller than a head phone socket (to give an idea of size).

On Hi-fi regular digital in.

I can get a optical converter that will allow the cable I have to be used that is perfect for the job (3.5mm), but that is too big. My guess is that there is a 2.5mm version which I cannot find, even at Maplins.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom