1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting a DVD to a TV with only coax in

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Rogerin, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Rogerin

Rogerin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I am thinking of getting my daughter her own DVD player for her bedroom (probably the Tosh sd330e), however she only has a cheap and cheerful 14" colour portable with a coax aerial point.

She also has a video recorder with two Scart sockets, what are my options (if any) to connect the three up?

At the moment, coax into the video and from the video to the TV (obviously)

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    You would need a video modulator for the DVD MAplin should have em, OR if DVD is MR and has had Marco vision Removed VCR may do this for you, I would say leave the DVD and get her a Better TV That has RGB in (you could go for one of those £150 DVD built in jobs but i wouldn't) That way You can connect more ie Freeview, VCR and DVD and get a much better PQ apart from special feature DVD wont give any PQ advance over VHS if connected via aerial socket.

3. Rogerin

Rogerin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info, the Toshiba is multi region, what is Marco vision?

4. eas4uk

eas4uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Macro vision is basically copy protection software to stop video/dvd piracy - if you try and copy most dvd's then when you watch the copy you have made, quality is awful - the picture rolls, brightness flashes etc... making it unwatchable basically - some dvd players have a VCR mode conversion when they are multiregion'd which disables the macrovision. This means you then use a VCR to watch your dvd's through - without it - all you will get is a nasty picture due to the macrovision

In my opinion - get a new tv - hopefully with at least two scart sockets with one (at least) RGB capable - then get a cheaper dvd player - for example cyberhome dvd405 (I picked one up for my aunts xmas pressie from Richer Sounds about three weeks ago for £60 and its mulitregion'd - Its got some good reviews for a budget player - if not check amazon as they do some quite cheap players - be wary of the real cheap ones though...:nono:
    I think they do the Pioneer 360 for £70 but it wont be delivered until after xmas now

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Richer will Pricebeat amazon on pio 360 etc