Connecting a DVD recorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by tman, Aug 27, 2005.

1. tman

tman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    I have a plasma display that doesn't have a SCART. I currently have a freeview box connected using RGB SCART to the 15-pin VGA port using a Keene Syncblaster cable, with audio coming from the L/R phono ports to a single mini-jack on the plasma (it has attached speakers). The VCR connects via composite, and the DVD player over component. This works pretty well. I intend though, to buy a Panasonic DMRES10 DVR and connect this to the existing setup. I realise though, connecting it may be easier said than done. I have a theory which I need confirming before buying the DVR.

This is how I see it working;

VCR (SCART OUT) > Fusion FVRT100 (SCART IN)
    Fusion FVRT100 (RGB SCART OUT) > Panny ES10 (RGB SCART IN)
    Panny ES10 (RGB SCART OUT) > Plasma (RGB VGA IN)
    Panny ES10 (L/R Audio OUT) > Plasma (mini-jack audio in)

Questions!

1. Would this allow me to archive VCR tapes to the ES10?
    2. Would this allow me to archive Freeview HDD recordings to the ES10?
    3. Would the L/R phono outs from the ES10 carry audio from the VCR and Fusion to the plasma speakers? I need this because the VGA port doesn't carry audio.
    4. Assuming I can watch and listen from all sources, which (if any) would need to be in standby for RGB loopthrough to work?

I would also connect the toslink out from the ES10 to my amp incase I wanted to watch surround movies from the ES10, but this will mainly come from the Pioneer 575 over component.

Does anyone see any problems here?

2. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    ON my Digifusion FVRT 150 PVR The two scarts sockets are ONLY outputs. I believe the Fusion FVRT 200 is the same - i.e. no inputs - just outputs.

Presumably then the FVRT 100 is the same. In which case you can not connect your
    VCR output as an INPUT to the Fusion. It only works the other way.

3. jerryat

jerryat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I could also do with some advice from the experts among you as I'm very far from being one! :rolleyes:

I am expecting delivery of a Panasonic TX-32LXD500 LCD tv and a Panasonic DMR-EH60D dvd recorder shortly. :clap:

I have bought component and audio cables from Mark Grant to connect the two units together rather than use a standard scart lead.

Will this set-up allow the Panasonic Q-Link facility to work or will that only work with a scart lead (as suggested in the manual) and no component cable link? :confused:

I don't want Q-Link, but my concern is that the TV manual states that on initial switch-on, it automatically sets up the prog channels then downloads them to the recorder VIA the Q-Link.

However, the recorder manual similarly says IT will (if required) download the channel info. Will these integrated tuners in EACH unit download the same channels in the SAME order if I stick with using component leads? And does it matter if they're not 'in the same order'?

Sorry if this doesn't make complete sense, but hopefully someone will understand what I mean. :D

Cheers Jerry

4. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    tman - connect your vcr output via scart to one of the other inputs on the Panasonic ES10 dvd recorder. If there isn't another free scart input socket on the panny then use either the S-vhs input + 2 x RCA phono sound or the composite input 3 x phono. You may have to purchase scart adaptors to do this.

http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=114

5. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    jerryat - you do not state if the 32" LCD TV has a freeview tuner.

If both TV and dvd recorder are connected to the same aerial they should store the channels in the same order.

You may still need some scart leads - if so check out the various types in the cable universe link in the above posting.

6. jerryat

jerryat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Roy,

Thanks for replying.

Yes, both the LCD tv and the DVD recorder have built in tuners. It may sound daft I know, but I wondered if, starting from scratch, both tuners would (individually and independantly) set up the channels in the same order.

The Panasonic Q-Link is their method of linking thier bits of kit together so they 'talk' to each other. However, it appears that for this to happen, the must be a scart connection.

I intend using component connection as this will apparently give the best PQ, but I am concerned that if, for example, the TV sets up BBC1 as channel 1, and the DVD recorder sets it up as channel 2, recording might prove a nightmare!

As you suggest, I guess the two tuners (by the same company) ought to register the channels in the same order, but being a cynic, I wonder if this really will be so.

Problem is, if I use BOTH scart and component cables, wouldn't I lose the effectiveness of the component element?

Oh dear, Perhaps it would just be easier to stick with my current 21 year old 21" Hitatchi!! Or perhaps not!

Cheers Jerry

7. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Well I guess you could always do the initial setup using the scart leads for use with i-link and then use your component leads.

In any case most TV's and dvd recorders (also vcr's) have the facility to move channels around or even cancel the ones you don't want listed. Just try it and see how it goes. You may be worrying quite unnecessarily.