connecting a dvd recorder to a pc

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by _dl_, Mar 2, 2005.

1. _dl_

_dl_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. i'm new here so don't screem if i aska stupid question.

i am an amature video editor. currently i am using an old pentium 800 with a dvmax card to record forma a panasonic dv camera to the pc edit them and save to a dvd. as the pc is not a high end machine it takes a wile do do so.

so i was thinking of buing a new pc. searhing throuhg the web i found some dvd recorders with dv connectors (ie panasonic DMR-E95). and i think to use it to capture both analog and dv sources to dvd's. i was thinking about posibilities of connecting shuch dvd recorder to a pc via the dv connector.
    Is it posible to move a file form the dvd recorder to the pc an then moving it from the pc to the dvd?
    What formats are used to store the material on the dvd recorder (mgep-2, vobs)?

sorry fo rmy bad english but it is not my native language :)

2. HelloShaun

HelloShaun
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unless you need a DVD recorder I'd recommend using your money to get the best pc kit you can, include a decent DVD writer such as NEC3500 and you could also include a front box that includes a firewire connection, or a graphics card that includes an extension with Component/firewire & S-video connections.

It is possible to connect a DVD recorder to your pc but it seems a long way round as your pc could do it all so you wouldnt need to move files around so much just for editing purposes.

Most standalone recorders use the VR format which when extracted are VOBs, these need to be converted to mpeg to allow editing.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    DVD recorders either use Video Recording (VR) mode or Video mode. Only the latter uses VOB files and both are/remain MPEG2. The official VR format (i.e. non 'plus' recorders) allows accurate, non-linear editing on set-top DVD recorders.