• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Connecting a DMR BS850 to the LNB, a couple of questions.

Ivor_Biggern

Established Member
We have a quad LNB on the sky dish, in the house we have a Sky HD box in one room and a normal Sky box in another room. Obviously the Sky HD box takes 2 feeds and from what i can see the normal Sky box just takes one.

Ive not had a chance to get up close to the dish yet as its right at the top of the house and i`m waiting for a mate to bring his ladders, ive had a look through some binoculars and it looks like their is only one spare connection left.

Does this mean that their is no way possible of connecting the DMR BS850 which has twin freesat tuners to the LNB and retaining both tuners ? I take it that i`ll be able to connect it but with just one tuner feed which defeats the object really, does this basically mean that i`m snookered :)

Last edited:

Broadz

Distinguished Member
Replace the quad with an octo if you want to take five outputs from a single dish. If you can live with either the DMR thing, or the Sky HD box not being able to record two channels simultaneously, or record one while watching another, then you can use two cables for the one that needs full PVR capability, one for the PVR which is not going to have full PVR capability, and one for the non-PVR.

Ivor_Biggern

Established Member
The DMR BS850 is a bluray recorder with twin freesat tuners.

Is it straight forward to change an LNB without the risk of knocking the dish out of line, whats the best route to go down. Is it better to get sky to do it or buy the LNB and change it myself ?

Just incase i decide to go down the route of an octo LNB, is their any particular brands that perform better and with it having more connections will it effect any signal quality ?

Last edited:

Broadz

Distinguished Member
Sky won't do it unless you buy another Sky+ or Sky HD box from them and take out a further multiroom account. They provided you with a dish with four outputs, and at the moment your Sky equipment is only using three of those outputs, so they won't be interested in swapping your quad LNB for an octo. An independent aerial/satellite installer will do it for you - no idea how much he'd charge.

logiciel

Is it straight forward to change an LNB without the risk of knocking the dish out of line
Not a lot more than it would be just to fix another cable.
Just Google or EBay for the octo.

Ivor_Biggern

Established Member
If i go down the route of changing the LNB from a quad to an Octo how do i know what type of dish i have, ive read that the Octo LNB`s are heavier and they can cause the arm to bend on a dish which will obviously affect the signal.

The dish was changed by sky about 2 years ago, not sure what type it is and whether it will support the weight of a heavier Octo LNB.

logiciel

I don't think an ounce or two is going to make much difference to something that has to withstand our weather!

richardr

Established Member
I take it that i`ll be able to connect it but with just one tuner feed which defeats the object really, does this basically mean that i`m snookered :)
In the short-term, that still allows you to watch or record one additional channel than your current Sky set-up. How many times do you need 5 different channels at the same time (2 Freesat, 2 Sky+ and 1 Sky)?

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom