1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting a DLP Projector to a PC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by jon_g, Jun 9, 2005.

1. jon_g

jon_g

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could someone advise me on the optimal setup (connection and resolution) to connect an 848 x 480 DLP Projector to a PC?

The projector is a Toshiba MT200 and the graphics card is an nVidia GeForce MX 440. The DLP VGA port is currently connected to the second (DVI?) port on the card via a little adapter.

I've used power strip to configure a resolution of 848x480 (the nVidia driver doesn't list it) and it looks awful. Setting it to 640x480 looks good, but am I missing something?

The manual doesn't list 848x480 as a supported RGB resolution, which I don't understand as I would have thought that the native resolution would have been optimal.

Is there much to be gained by changing the connection to DVI? My current 5m VGA cable is in the wall so this will be a pain!

Any help would be much appreciated as I am now completely confused!

Many thanks

Jon

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi :hiya:

Not all displays will accept native resolution even though it seems un-intuitive that could be the case. I have no experience of this machine so can't off anything concrete.

Can you clarify what 'awful' means in this case, ie. what problems are you seeing when selecting this resolution?

You may have more luck with DVI since that was originally a PC interface.

You may want to try posting this in the LCD/DLP forum in case there's some menu setting in the pj that affects things.

3. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    Is the PJ 16:4 or 4:3 i.e. is it widescreen?

848 x 480 is widescreen

640 x480 is 4:3

So if the dimensions look wrong at 848 x480 and correct at 640 x480 I would think that it is a 4:3 projector so i would keep to 4:3 resolutions and keep bumping it up till you get the best possible picture

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The MT200 is native 848x480.