Connecting a digital to analogue converter . Volume isn't big

Ibizawaterside

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello.
I'm Looking for a little help connecting my TV to my hifi.
I have to use a little dac to connect my Samsung TV via toslink to my hifi to play utube or whatever.
The hifi being a Rega, is capable of outputting the sound much much louder than it actually is. It should be much louder.
I have a little dac from eBay. Is this likely to be the problem ?
Dac from ebay

Thanks for any help anyone can offer :)

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Welcome to the Forum.
I have a little dac from eBay. Is this likely to be the problem ?
At £6.99 I would say almost certainly. If the volume with the Rega is low, you should use one of the line level inputs, not the phono, the DACs voltage may be practically non existent. Buy a reputable DAC.

Line level inputs ?? Do you mean plug it in to the cd input or radio ?

And have you any suggestions please ?

Last edited:
Line level inputs ?? Do you mean plug it in to the cd input or radio ?

And have you any suggestions please ?
What Rega model do you have? The CD input would be fine. They are not specific, except for the phono, they are just named for convenience and correspond to the buttons on the remote. I've owned Rega and have never had low volume problems with any analogue connection.

I have a Mira clamshell. Had it from new and love it with the rest of my Rega kit :) Still going strong
I've been trying it this evening just playing music using my 3.5 Jack in my phone. It's super loud and great and can't get near full volume tbh , my ears won't take it !! But put it through the TV with this tos link and I can turn the volume knob round to full and it's nothing like the phone music

Last edited:
Have you confirmed your TV Digital Out is not set to Variable (meaning the Optical Out level can be adjusted using the TV Volume control)?

Joe

Have you confirmed your TV Digital Out is not set to Variable (meaning the Optical Out level can be adjusted using the TV Volume control)?

Joe
Well, funny you should say. I have to switch the TV to optical out to use the amp. That actually stops me using the TV remote volume. Is there likely to be a setting?
My previous Sony was connected directly with a 3,5 phono cable and i could still use the remote volume and was great

It looks like you can set the TV speaker setting to External and that should allow you to use the TV Volume to adjust the Output level of the Optical Out, though Samsung Manuals are a nightmare so no promises that it will work :)

Joe

Just going back to this thread. Still trying to find out why the volume via the DAC is too low at the hifi.
This one has a volume control. Would work?

A volume on the dac

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
The low Output from the DAC is either down to the DAC Output level/voltage being too low or the TV is set to Variable rather than fixed for the Optical Out, or as previously suggested a £6.99 DAC is never going to be great.

Other than plugging it in and seeing if it will work you have no way to predict how the other DAC you link to will work in your system.

Joe

PS To confirm you are connecting to a Line Input on your REGA amp?

The low Output from the DAC is either down to the DAC Output level/voltage being too low or the TV is set to Variable rather than fixed for the Optical Out, or as previously suggested a £6.99 DAC is never going to be great.

Other than plugging it in and seeing if it will work you have no way to predict how the other DAC you link to will work in your system.

Joe

PS To confirm you are connecting to a Line Input on your REGA amp?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-11-25-15-42-41-860-edit_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-11-25-15-42-41-860-edit_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
    511.9 KB · Views: 12
CD, Tuner, AUX1 and AUX2 are all Inputs you can use with a DAC and ideally the DAC Line Output voltage is 220mV.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom