1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting a Denon3910 to an AVCA1-SR?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Lampwick, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Lampwick

Lampwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all.

I've just ordered a 3910 but it's occurred to me that I'm not too sure what the best way is to connect it to my AVCA1-SR for DVD-A, SACD & DVD video-audio playback.
    I've got a HDMI cable ready for connecting to my plasma but wondered what the ideal way is to get all audio from the player to the amp.
    Currently I'm using optical on my old dvd player but plan to use the DVDA, SACD also on the 3910. I know that DenonLink does not support SACD - should I use firewire? :lease: ....bit confused to be honest..

2. Bruce1310

Bruce1310
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Lampwick

I'm not sure the AVCA1-SR has a Firewire port?? If it does that would be the simplest connection as you would get DVD, DVD-A and SACD audio through that single connection.

If it doesn't have a firewire port and only has the Denon Link....you could use the Denon Link for DVD, DVD-A audio but would have to make an analogue connection for your 6 ch of SACD audio.

The third alternative is to use a co-ax or optical cable for DVD and the analogue connections for both DVD-A and SACD. That is how my system is set up at the moment (no denon link on my AVCA1-SE) and it sounds fantastic.

The main difference between using the Firewire connection and using the Anologue connection is that the Firewire connection would mean you could let the AVCA1-SR do all the processing and bass management...while with the analogue connection this is all done in the 3910.

Hope this has helped in some way.

Bruce

3. pemberto

pemberto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Lampwick,
    Denon UK are in the final stages (I hope) of getting the upgrade for AVCA1-SR ready for release. This should give the updated denon link and I think IEEE port.

When I called them last week they did not have any idea of cost, no doubt we will pay over the odds in the UK for this update. If you dont want to go down the route of this upgrade then anologue connection is your only option.

4. Lampwick

Lampwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Bruce - that really helps!

I'll check that the AVCA1 SR has a firewire - I assumed it did but I'm probably wrong.
    Appreciate the info!

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    The A1SR doesn't have Firewire and won't be getting it in the upgrade. The upgrade includes Dolby PLIIx, HDCD and Denon Link 3 (SACD ready). You still won't be able to pass SACD via Denon Link as the permission has yet to be given and none of their players can output the signal yet. If it is ever given then a firmware update to Denon Link 3 for their players will be released.

6. Lampwick

Lampwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What cable/connector exactly do I need for the Denon Link and where can I get one?
    Sounds like it's the best way for joining the two bits of kit.
    I'll have to use analogue interconnects for SACD.

Thanks for everyone's info - shame the DenonLink is so handicapped for SACD or it would be the ideal.

7. MPK

MPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    As far as I know a Denon Link cable is included with the 3910. It looks a bit like a LAN cable.

8. tennant

tennant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Denon Link is just a standard CAT5 RJ45 cable.

Anyone any idea of costs of the A1SR upgrade yet, Denon keep telling me that they'll be doing them very shortly, but haven't given me any indication of price. I'm presuming it won't be in the £600 region of the SE to SR, given that it's a minor upgrade in comparison!?

Tennant

9. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    The upgrade for the A1SR to A1SRA is 249 Euros according to Denon Germany.

10. tennant

tennant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Which sounds a bit pricey to me (~£170 assuming they do a straight currency conversion) for what you get--I assume that includes all delivery charges! I'm predominately only interested in the Denon Link upgrade so that it works with my 3910 DVD player. HDCD and Pro Logic IIx are 'nice to haves' but I suspect I would never really get the benefit of them.

Tennant

11. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Not too sure about the carriage etc. I'd hazard a guess that maybe it will be like the last A1SE upgrade. You drop the unit off at your dealers, it's put into a flight case, shipped back to Denon, upgraded and then returned in a new box.